Chapter Twenty-Three

Bowie

When I woke up the next morning, River had his arms wrapped around me, but I could easily move to turn and face him like I did last night. I studied his face, watching him sleep with an adorable little smile tugging on his lips.

Reaching up, I caressed his face carefully with my hand, not wanting to wake him. Seeing him like this was what I aimed for whenever he was with me, all calm and serene. I've always wanted to make him feel good. I wanted him to feel safe and welcome.

Since starting college, we both managed to not cross that thin line we were so scared to step over. We made our friendship last, even after getting carried away a few times. I blamed it on us getting older. Maybe it was the attraction we both felt for each other. Maybe it was just the simple fact that deep down, we knew there was more between us.

No matter what he felt, I knew I needed more. I couldn't stand the fact that someday, some other girl got close to him. The thought of him falling for someone made me nervous and anxious. When I told Ford that I had no place in my heart for one other guy, I was basically telling him, and River who was standing next to me, that I didn't want any other guy.

I knew if we didn't at least try and find out if there was more between us, I wouldn't be able to let any other man close to me. I wouldn't open up.

My eyes locked on his lips, and I wondered what they would feel like pressed against mine. They've only ever touched my neck, cheeks, forehead. The closest they've ever gotten to mine was that night at the frat party, as he kissed the corner of my mouth. I was frustrated afterward, wanting him to kiss me the way I knew he kissed other girls before.

I pushed that thought out of my head immediately and reached into his hair to pull at it ever so slightly.

A small noise escaped him and propped myself up on my elbow to get closer to him. I bent down, kissing his cheek, and moving my hand from his hair to the side of his neck. I planted another kiss, this time closer to the corner of his mouth.

Another smile tugged on his lips, and I knew he was about to wake up. I kept my face close to his, and as he turned his head, he grabbed the back of my head and pulled me in, kissing my cheek, then tugging me back against his chest.

Whatever I was trying to achieve was a failed mission. I'd go as far as to say that he just rejected me. Great, I thought.

"Sleep well, Bow?" he said, his voice thick with sleep. I nodded, relaxing in his arms.

"You?"

"Better than ever. I think I dreamt of Mom," he told me, and I smiled, looking up at him again. "Really? That's sweet, Riv. Wanna tell me about it?" I whispered.

"Yeah," he said, rubbing his eyes with one hand. "I think we were in a field surrounded by flowers. I don't remember if she talked or if I said anything, but she was smiling."

I scratched the spot behind his ear. "She knows your home," I said with a smile, and he nodded, looking down at me with eyes full of emotions. "I think I wanna go say hi. It's been a while."

He hasn't visited her grave since Eastern. "Do you want to go alone?" I asked. Last time he didn't want me with him. He said he wanted to get some time alone with her, and I gave him the space he needed.

"You can come," he said with a smile, and I nodded.

We closed our eyes again, enjoying each other's company and the silence surrounding us. I'd never gotten the chance to meet his mother, but from what he told me, she was a sweet woman. Kind-hearted and funny. I heard him talk to Mom one time, and he told her that she reminded him of his own mother. Mom was an emotional wreck after ten-year-old River told her that, and from that day on, she tried everything to make him smile whenever he was around.

While my thoughts were recalling that day, I heard Mom and Dad walking around in the kitchen downstairs. They were probably preparing breakfast, and since we were up anyway, I decided to go and help them.

"Wanna come downstairs, too?" I asked, sitting up in bed and stretching.

"Yeah, I'll be right with you," he said with a crooked grin. I knew he had to take care of something before heading to the kitchen. I felt his hardness against my thighs again, but I wasn't going to mention it.

As I entered the kitchen, Mom was cutting up some fruit, and Dad was swaying along with the music, waiting for the next pancake to be done.

"Good morning," I said, and both of them turned their heads to look at me. "Morning, sweetheart," Dad said. He was already wearing his vest, and I knew he was off to see his brothers at the motorcycle club. It was Sunday, and they all got together for what they called church, to talk about club business.

"River awake too?" he asked, and I nodded while hugging Mom from the side. "Did you guys have a good night's sleep?" she asked.

"Yes" was my short response, and I stepped away from Mom again as River entered the kitchen. I turned to him, and he gave me a quick smile before looking at my parents. "Morning, you two," he said. Mom replied, and Dad nodded, flipping the pancake.

"We gotta talk to youabout something, Son," Dad said. "We thought we'd tell you before you found outyourself."