12 | Hold my Bear

The pie contest is in full swing by the time Axel and I pass it. Every contestant has a slice set out for the judges while the rest of their pie is sitting out for people to sample. I spot Mrs. Stacy and she waves me over.

"Vienna, dear!" Mrs. Stacy pulls me in for a hug, squeezing tight. "How are you?"

"I'm good," I reply, smiling at her. Her pie sits on display with the filling drips off the side of a sliced piece. "Is this your famous apple pie?"

She grins, her features wrinkling as she does this. "Yes ma'am it is! You want a slice?"

"Yes, please!" Mrs. Stacy cuts me a slice and hands it to me. She watches me as I take a bite and enjoy the savoring taste. "Very, very good," I muffle.

Mrs. Stacy grins, her eyes glistening with satisfaction. She looks behind me and offers Axel a slice. He looks at me and I nod my head. He takes a tentative bite and swallows. His smile gives Mrs. Stacy her answer.

She throws her hands up in excitement. "Wonderful! Thank you, dears!" We wish her luck and continue looking at the other pies.

"Vienna? Axel?"

We turn around at the same time and see Ms. Mendes standing there, holding a clipboard. Her short, dark brunette hair is curled, shaping her face. She puts her hands on her hips and looks between the two of us. "I didn't know you two knew each other."

Axel and I look at each other, neither of us knowing what to say.

"We're kinda like new friends?" I venture, shrugging one of my shoulders. Axel nods his head in agreement.

Ms. Mendes looks at me knowingly, tapping my chin and then rubbing my arm comfortingly. "I'm glad to see you making more friends this year."

I give her a small smile. She's one of the few people that knows what happened almost two years ago. The accident that made me look at life differently. Granted, it did make me more outgoing, but it also made it harder for me to make friends. It's hard to be friends with anyone who didn't know me at the time. Elea and Axel seem to be the exception though.

Axel clears his throat and I snap out of my thoughts. "Um, yeah. I am."

She stares at me, seeing if she'll get anymore out of me. "Well, if you need anything, you know where to find me."

Nodding my head, she goes back to observing the different kinds of pie. That's when I focus on the clipboard she has in her hand. 'Judging Criteria' is written at the top of the paper.

"What was that about?" Axel asks.

I bite my bottom lip, trying to come up with something. "Um, nothing really." Maybe he'll be able to tell I don't want to talk about it.

He watches me and his facial expression says it all. He understands but knows there's more to it.

A flash goes off, startling me. Behind the camera is Mr. Becker. He pushes his glasses up his nose as he observes a piece of pie. Perfect timing.

"Hold my bear." I shove the stuffed prize into Axel's chest, causing him to stumble backwards. Walking around several tables, I make my way towards Mr. Becker.

"Vienna? Where are you going?" Axel calls, looking confused.

"I gotta do something." With that, I continue walking towards Mr. Becker. He's bending down as he works on taking a picture of a cherry pie. "Mr. Becker?"

Jumping, Mr. Becker turns around to look at me. His hand is over his chest as he takes a deep breath. "Vienna. You scared me."

"Sorry." With my hands behind my back, I rock back and forth on the soles of my shoes as Mr. Becker goes back to taking the picture. "Did you know there's a teacher from our school judging the pies? That would be good content for the yearbooks, right?"