Chapter One

It was a beautiful Tuesday morning in Crystal Cove. The sun was shining over the town and everyone seemed to be having a good morning. Well, everyone except for Fred Jones, son of the mayor and leader of the group that called themselves Mystery Incorporated.

He groaned as the light of the rising sun leaked through the window and past his curtains. "Damn it." His eyes squeezed shut and he turned his head so when he opened them again he was looking at the ceiling. He looked over the cages and nets that hung there with a sigh.

"Fred! Hurry up and get ready for school!" His father called from the other side of the door. Fred didn't want to get up. He didn't want to do anything. Since Daphne had broken up with him on Monday, he's felt . . . different. Not even making a trap could make him feel better. He had tried.

Dragging himself out of his bed, he looked around. Traps everywhere. That's why she'd left him. He always talked about traps with her. He hadn't even realised either. For a whole month, he went on about traps whenever they went on dates.

Running a hand through his messy blonde hair, he walked around his room, avoiding the traps he'd set. He knew where each one was, so it was easy to stay away from them. He got dressed; blue jeans and a white sweater with blue stripes on it. He tied his ascot loosely around his wrist and combed his hair to be neat. He also took care of his hygiene too, while he was at it.

Looking in the mirror, he's frowning at himself. "Can't even stop talking about traps long enough to let her know you care." He grumbles at his reflection. "You should know how to shut your own fucking trap." He shakes his head and turns away from himself and walks over to the door.

Fred finally makes his way downstairs where his dad is. Mayor Jones has a smile on his face as he stands by the door. He's going to try to talk to me, Fred thinks as he tries his hardest to put on a smile for his father. "Hey dad!" His voice doesn't sound right. It sounds broken.

His dad doesn't seem to notice. "I heard about what happened with that Daphne girl," the mayor begins. "I know you're upset about it. But listen, Fred, there are plenty of other girls out there."

But Fred doesn't want a girlfriend. Well, he does, but he also thinks he'd like a boyfriend this time. Of course, he can't say that. His dad would never have a bisexual boy in his house. No son of his is going to come out as a queer. Fred only knows because he's heard his dad talk about it before. He's said, and Fred quotes, "If my son turned out to be a homosexual, I'd pray to God for him to strike me down dead right then and there." Fred doesn't even remember the situation. He just remembers hearing it.

"God, damn it, Fred, are you listening?" His father is looking at him, almost annoyed. "I'm trying to cheer you up, can't you at least pay attention?" Fred nods, and an apology is said. Mr. Jones sighs. "Sorry, son." Fred shrugs and mutters, "It's fine."

Then, grabbing the keys to the Mystery Machine, Fred says goodbye to his father and walks out of the house. He sits in the van for a minute, listening to everything that's going on outside; birds chirping the sound of the sprinklers that his neighbors have.

He doesn't want to be late for school, so he backs out of the driveway, and starts making his way to pick everyone else up. First Shaggy and Scooby, then Velma and then Daphne. Velma and Shaggy try to comfort Fred as he nearly starts crying. They pull up in the driveway, and Daphne is waiting, seeming to be texting someone on her phone. She looks up when the van comes to a stop and doesn't say a word when she gets in.

She looks sad, staring out the van window. Fred is sad too. Sad that she's sad. Sad that he couldn't seem to show her that he really does care. Sad that it didn't work out. She said they would still be friends, though. That's good enough for Fred. He's just glad that she hasn't left him completely.

Pulling into the school parking lot, Fred stops the vehicle and everyone gets out. Velma leads Daphne away to talk. Shaggy and Scooby stay with Fred. "Fred, like, don't beat yourself up over it." Shaggy says as they walk to the school entrance. "Yeah, Raggy's right." Scooby says with a small smile. "I know, guys, I know." Fred sighs. "Like, Freddy, if there's anything we can do to help, let us know." Shaggy places a hand on the blonde's shoulder. And Fred smiles, a genuine smile.

The bell rings, and everyone makes their way to their own classes. Fred thinks that maybe today won't be so bad.