-101-

Days turned into weeks and still there was no word from or about Cass. Dumbledore had informed the auror office and Cass was now classed as a missing person. The head of missing people had informed Sirius not to get his hopes up as people who have been missing for more than three days don't typically turn up alive.

Sirius was spiralling. He could barely get up in the morning, needing much coaching and gentle persuasion from Remus to even go to classes. His grades were slipping, if he continued the way he was going he would surely fail his N.E.W.Ts.

Marlene had stopped drinking and got her smoking back down to her usual amount, with a lot of help from Dorcas. They still hadn't told anyone they were together, but it wasn't that hard to keep it a secret as everyone was preoccupied with their own problems.

James was putting his all into quidditch. He had a good side lined up, finding a new chaser and keeper. Their new chaser — Charlie — wasn't quite as good as Sebastian but he would get there. James was worried about their first match, he didn't know if Sirius would manage it.

Now, James sat hunched over his strategy book, staring at the same plays over and over again, not really reading them. His mind was in other things, namely Cass. It was late, the common room was empty — only the dying fire illuminated the room. James jumped as he heard footsteps come down the stairs.

"James?" Lily said softly. "Is that you?" James held his breath, praying she would go away. He didn't want her to see him crying. Lily stepped further into the common room, frowning as she saw James hastily wipe tears off of his face.

"Hi." James said thickly.

"Are you okay?" Lily asked, sitting down beside him.

"Yeah I'm just... uh sad it's my last year playing quidditch, you know?" It was a lie, both of them knew it, but Lily nodded.

"I've never really understood the hype of quidditch." Lily mused. "I mean, sure it's nice to see you in your quidditch uniform because it makes you look quite fit and-" She clamped a hand over her mouth. James quirked an eyebrow, smirking.

"Lily Evans, did you just call me fit?" He said. Lily went as red as her hair.

"No- I- I meant- yes okay I did." She said. "Don't let it go to your head."

"If it's any consolation, I think you're fit too. All of the time." James said. Lily blushed deeper. "Aw, you're blushing."

"I am not blushing!" Lily protested. "I have... sensitive cheeks." James laughed.

"Is that the best you could do? Sensitive cheeks? Face it Evans, I make you blush."

"Don't be so cocky Potter, I bet I could make you blush more." Lily said. James folded his arms.

"Is that a challenge?"

"Yes, yes it is." Lily said. She leaned in and whispered something in his ear, making James go very red. "I told you so." She smirked triumphantly.

"Not fair!" James pouted. "You can't tease me like that."

"Who said anything about teasing?" Lily whispered, her face still very close to James'.

James opened his mouth to speak but Lily cut him off by kissing him. James nearly pulled away out of shock, but relaxed into the kiss. He couldn't believe that Lily Evans, his lifelong crush, was kissing him, James Potter. She pulled away, leaving them both breathless. James straightened his glasses and cleared his throat.

"That was..."

"Amazing." Lily finished. "I like you James, I like you a fucking lot." James stared at her.