Part 9 ~First day in the guard

It had been nearly half an year since Ivelle left London. She didn't have bad dreams since she had been there except that one with the burning house. She was nerveous at first, and the first few months were very strange, but she became part and parcel of the elvish society. She acquired the ettiquette and she become better and better in her training. Her favourite weapon was the sword.

She was walking in the curtyard. Elves were rushing to the palace or went to the city with orders from the king. Everyone was very excited. Only one week was leaft until the day of the annual Summer Bal, and this year the elves hosted the other kingdoms. And Ivelle was invited too. Cirillo asked her to accompany him.  She spent a week with learning every single dance that existed. She felt ready. But first she had to find a dress.

"Muriel." she noticed the elf.

"Ivelle. What can I do for you?"

"I need a dress, for the bal."

"Oh, I one step ahead you. The dresmakers are already working on it."

"Great, thank you." Muriel bowed and left.

She went to the ward to meet Pádraig. The man was already in his training clothes and was waiting for her with a bow.

"Not again! " Said Ivelle. " You know how much I hate the bow. "

"I know. " He smiled "That's why we are using it. Go change your clothes. "

"Okay"

She stepped in the Females' Room. It was asmall room in a wooden house. There was a few bed, a table with chairs, and a wardrobe in the room. A few elf women was chatting in the corner. She opened the wardrobe and took out her training clothes. It was a long sleeved white linen shirt, a brown leather jerkin, brown linen pants and leather shoes. She said hello to the other elves and left the room. As she stepped out Pádraig handed her the bow and a quiver with arrows. She put the quiver on her back.

" So don't forget. Never loose focus. "

"Okay."

She aimed at the target and shot. Her arrow hit it on the blank. She shot another one and another, until her quiver became half empty. She went closer and examined the target. Most of the arrows are hit it on the blank.

"Great job." said Pádraig with a smile "You're starting to shoot like a real elf."

"Thanks." she smiled back.

"Now. Let's move on." he threw her a sword.

They drew out their swords and waited. Ivelle attacked, but Pádraig easily parried. The clashing of the sword could be heard. They spinned and turned, jumped and stepped they moved in a perfect circle, until Pádraig sent her to grass with a well-directed sword-stroke. Now she was laying on the ground glaring at him. Her back hurt. Pádraig helped her up.

"I take back what I've said. You are possibly the worst apprentice I've ever trained." laughed the man.

"Thank you, for the encouragement. " she rolled her eyes and lifted her sword. "Let's get back to work."

"That's the spirit!" the man drew out his sword "Ready?"

"Ready like hell."

They clashed again, but now Ivelle won. She was really proud of herself. She had never beaten him before.

"You went easy on me." she said suspiciously.

"No, I didn't. I know that you'd hate it." he got up "You passed the test."

"What test?"

"You can be part of the elven army. If you'd still like to. "

" Yes. " she smiled "Thank you. "