part twenty-two

"hello?" i answer cassie's fifth call in a row, finally realizing it must be important.

"look nate just called mkay to tell him to ask me to text maddy to download signal." she says in almost a whisper.

i sit up from my the couch, my mom watching me intensely.

"what? why?" i ask her, confused at the fact that he just left here a couple hours ago. and because i thought he was ignoring maddy.

"i-i don't know, but mckay's coming out the bathroom, i'll call you later. bye, love you." she says in a hurry before hanging up.

when i pull the phone away from my ear, i stare at it in disbelief.

"are you okay brianna?" my mom asks me, having the movie paused as she gently rubs my back.

i nod, tucking my phone under my leg. "perfectly fine." i lie.

•••

"you really should've called first." i joke, a smile appearing on my face as soon as i open the door.

"then it wouldn't be a surprise dumbass." hardin laughs, taking a step forward into my house.

i shut the door behind him, turning around to his arms quickly wrapping around my small frame.

he pulls me in tight, leaving pecks against the side of my neck. "fuck, i've missed you baby."

my cheeks warm up as i squeeze onto him. "i've missed you too. i'm sorry i havent talked to you in a couple weeks. shits just been crazy."

when he pulls away, he uses one hand to tuck my hair behind my ear, kissing my forehead.

"yeah i know baby. it's okay."

i grab ahold of his hand, tugging for him to come with me upstairs. he follows me to my room, my body stumbling backwards as his lips starts kissing me.

he shuts my door behind him, still walking us backwards when i feel the back of my legs hit my bed, letting my body fall into the comforter.

he lays on top of me, his hands roaming my body slowly, turning me on.

"where's your mom?" he says quietly.

"she'll be home from work any minute." i tell him, wanting to speed this up.

"you've been home alone a lot recently?" he asks suddenly.

i nod my head, before leaning up to kiss his neck.

his fingers fiddle with my nike shorts, sliding his hand underneath to find im not wearing any underwear.

"take them off." i whisper in his ear, smirking when his hands reach up, listening to my command.

he pulls them down, letting them fall on the floor.

"no ones visited you or anything?"

my brows furrow at the weird amount of questions he's asking when we're literally in the middle of making out.

"yeah cass, that's about it." i answer.

"oh okay, do you leave the house a lot? since you've been missing school and shit?"

i huff, turning my head to the side. he takes the hint to get off me before standing up.

i pull myself up, tucking my hair behind my ears as i watch him reach for my shorts, handing them back to me.

i slightly smile, sliding them back on. it remains awkwardly quiet.

"i'm sorry bri. i just-" hardin speaks softly, shaking his head and sits beside me on my bed.

"i feel like there's been a lot of shit lately, i just want to make sure you're okay and shit before we fuck again." he finally gets out.

i feel my chest tingle, my anxiety slowly taking over.

"why wouldn't i be okay?" i question, a annoyed toned clearly present.

he sighs, pulling his hood closer to his face. "you disappeared for almost two weeks. everyone found out nate choked the shit out of maddy and you were dating him. so excuse me for being fucking worried." he says.

i bite the side of my lip, concerned at the fact that he's put everything together so easily. it makes me think of what everyone else must be thinking as well.

"hardin i'm fine. everything just shook me a little so i took a break. it's not that deep." i tell him.

"you would tell me if he hurt you right?"

i nod, still looking at my hands in front of me.

"bri i swear to god if he touched you-"

"he didn't hardin. he didn't hurt me, i promise." i interrupt him, seeing that he's getting himself worked up.

"i'm fucking serious bri. i'd kill him. deadass." he states again.

i smile up to him, pulling his face towards me, kissing his lips. "i know baby. don't worry, i'm fine."

"i love you." i tell him when we pull apart, his smile growing even more.

"i love you too."

he gets on the bed, fully laying down now as he grabs the remote to my tv. i crawl up beside him, snuggling my body against his.

"have you seen nate since he left school?" hardin asks me a little into the show we've been watching.

"yeah, we talked about a week ago. it was quick and weird. i haven't seen him since though." i answer him, knowing he's just trying to keep my best interest at heart.

"good. that bitch needs help. i don't want you going near him again." he says casually.

part of me gets irritated at his statement, his controlling manner pissing me off.

this is part of the problem we had back when we were dating.

i just nod my head, not wanting to argue with him because technically he's right about nate. he is fucking crazy and i don't need to see him right now, even though part of me wants to finish our conversation from last week.

soon i hear the garage door opening, it vibrating the floor since it's right under my room.

i sit up looking at hardin. "you up for talking to her or do you wanna sneak out the window?" i ask him, knowing it'll take some explaining to do.

he reaches forward, kissing my lips once again. "fuck it, why hide it at this point." he smiles, hopping up from my bed.

he holds out his hand, waiting for me as i smile, grabbing it to head downstairs.

-i know this was shorter than usual guys but the next chapter has a bunch of drama and will be longer.

-also new chapter of my fezco story posted!!