17. A Secret Engagement

25 September 1889

Dear future husband,

Greetings. I write to you in Grenledge, having just returned from the comforts of London, where Papa and I were in residence for his business affairs, although we missed the end of the Season by over two weeks. Unfortunately, due to travelling, we did not make it into Town for even the last of the Season. It is truly such a disappointment, as I would have loved to see the Trooping of Colours, or perhaps even witness a polo match. It would have been absolutely stupendous to watch my very first Henley Royal Regatta. Perhaps next year we may be able to visit and I could attend the Royal Ascot! I h ad even picked out my dream hat-a lovely pale pink, with an ostrich feather.

Have you ever been in Town for the Season? I suppose I couldn't ask you if you had 'come out' into society as that is strictly for young ladies. Why, exactly, is it reserved only for young women? Are we not as much a part of society as any other? Are men already born into society, that they do not need to be presented or become debutantes? Then again, I have a very difficult time imagining any young man in a full ball gown or even one of the fascinators that women wear. Anyways, I pray you are doing well and that you enjoyed a pleasant Season full of horse racing and boating and other amusements.

However, as much as I wish I had been able to attend any of the Season's events, I do appreciate all the enjoyments of travel. I feel quite fortunate to have seen so many sights and faces that I have never before caught a glimpse of. Even if I did have to have my heart and trust broken by he-whom-I-shall-not-name, I shall still declare the voyage a success. It allowed me to broaden my horizons and understanding of the world and bring back many souvenirs and gifts for Anna. Speaking of Anna, we are due to have lunch together, so I must be going now. I shall write more later!

"Rosalie!" Anna bounded into the library, a beaming grin on her face that was as bright as her yellow dress, which clashed horribly with her hair. "It has been too long! I have so much to tell you of... So many things have happened while you were away."

Rosalie clasped her friend's hands, jumping up and down in a way that made Miss Wilson make an ahem noise low in her throat. She paused, releasing one of Anna's hands. Rosalie was almost as tall as Anna now, five-foot-three to her friend's five-foot-five height, but the older girl somehow felt worldlier, even though Rosalie was the one who had just returned from a grand adventure.

"Please do me everything that has transpired, Anna," Rosalie said, swinging their joined hands between them as they walked out of the library and down the hall. "Is your secret admirer still around?

One of the electric lights-a newfangled invention that had been installed while she and Papa were away-flickered, its incandescent bulb glowing and dimming in rapid succession. It reminded her of a ghost story, sending a chill down her spine. Or perhaps someone was sending a message via Morse code through the light bulb? Either way, she preferred to think of it as an abnormal occurrence rather than a simple coincidence. It gave a taste of whimsy to everyday life.

"Yes, actually..." Anna's smile grew brighter than any of the incandescent light bulbs lining the halls. "We were correct in our assumptions. It is Sterling Bennett, and he has proposed to me!"

Rosalie's mouth fell open in shock. Proposal? Marriage? Anna was fifteen, to be fair, and two years older than Rosalie, but... A lifetime spent with Sterling Bennett? It seemed like a rather daunting prospect, as nice and charming and good at dancing as he was. "Do your parents know?"

Anna shook her head, her excited glow dimming a bit, and explained, "We are having a secret engagement."

"A secret engagement?" Rosalie repeated, raising her eyebrows. "Why? Would you not want to be married to him straight away?"

The other girl pouted as they reached the dining room, her shoulders slumping. "Well..."

Rosalie rested her other hand on her friend's wrist, causing them both to pause outside of the double doors. "What is it? Is everything alright with his family?"

"Of course, I would love to be married to him as soon as possible," Anna explained in a low voice. "However, he says he would like to be established with a secure occupation and become a master of his craft before he makes any moves toward matrimony. It should only be a few months, or a year at most."

"Oh... I suppose that is the most practical course of action... do you not think it is rather unfair of him, however?" Rosalie asked as the guards held open the doors for them to enter the dining room. "What I mean to say is, he has gotten you so enamoured with him, yet he is in no state to marry you."

Anna protested. "I think a secret engagement is romantic..."

"Who is having a secret engagement, now?" asked Lord Winthrop as they took their places at the table.

"Nobody," Rosalie said, her eyes going wide in a practiced expression that she hoped was the very epitome of innocence.

Anna responded with a more believable lie. "A character in one of our favourite novels."

"Ah, reading Emma, are you?" Papa laughed as he cut into a rasher of bacon. "That was your mother's favourite novel."

He rarely mentioned her mother, especially not in company. Rosalie was unsure of how she ought to respond.

Anna, sensing her discomfort, swallowed her bite of scrambled eggs and spoke. "Jane Fairfax does end up marrying Frank Churchill, though. Doesn't she?"

"Oh, to be sure, I could not possibly ruin the ending for you. You girls shall have to finish it yourselves to see who gets married," he said with a smile, tilting his head toward them from where he sat at the head of the table. "I am sure you shall find it very interesting."

Rosalie spent the rest of the meal in silence. The mention of her mother had spoiled her appetite. All she could think of was the night before her mother had left. She had behaved so strangely, mentioning someone named Edward or Edgar or something similar. Rosalie had discovered several strange things in her room. Rings with an unfamiliar signet on them. Letters in her room addressed to my dear Eliza, though her mother's name was Cornelia. When she had brought up the letters to her mother, she had scolded her for snooping in her room and begun locking her bedchamber door to keep Rosalie out.

Rosalie had not complied, instead attempting to bribe the housekeeper into allowing her access to the room. Of course, Mrs. Jenkins had not allowed Rosalie to enter, but still. After that, she had felt deeply betrayed and withdrawn from her mother's attempts at affection. Now, as she often did, she wondered if she should have done something differently. She wondered if, instead of pulling away, she should have drawn closer.

Perhaps then, her mother would still be with her.

***

I cannot believe that Anna is having a secret engagement with Sterling Bennett, of all people! Certainly, he is quite charming and agreeable, but is he really the sort of man that a girl ought to marry? Anyways, I do wish her all the happiness in the world and I pray that my premonition about Mr. Bennett is incorrect. Surely, they will not have a clandestine marriage, as such things were outlawed over a century ago.

My father brought up my mother at breakfast this morning. I do not know why Emma would be her favourite novel. Even Emma is not as evil or irritating as my mother is. Although Emma Woodhouse is horribly selfish and blind and elitist, at least she was kind to Harriet and tried to be good to those around her. I do not know if Emma Woodhouse could be so terrible as to abandon her only child.

Anyways, enough of this melancholy. I pray that you are doing well and not getting into any secret engagements with women you have no intention of marrying. I pray that the Lord is watching over you and giving you a heart to follow after Him.

Forever yours,

Rosalie Winthrop