Part 35

"Did you get it?" Luke asked, sitting back in his desk and running a hand through his hair.

"I did." Marco said, sitting down across from him.

"And what did you find?" Luke asked.

"The captain was right, he did leave town last year." Marco said, "But if he'd bothered to inquire, he'd know that he was spotted just this month."

"Here?" Luke asked, sitting up. "In the city?"

"No, South town." Marco replied and Luke stared at him blankly.

"That's only a few miles from the Reid home." Luke said.

"I know, I let the captain know but I'm sure you know his response." Marco replied.

"Not enough for a restraining order." Luke said. "Considering the history, the calls and messages and now he's decided to visit South Town... what the hell are they waiting for?"

"We'll take care of it." Marco said and Luke nodded.

"Don't touch him unless he makes a move and more than anything... just scare him. I don't need a full blown problem on my hands." Luke replied.

"No worries, we'll be discreet. Just rattle him up a bit," Marco said with a smile, "let him know the Reid family has well connected friends."

"Good." Luke said. "That takes care of that then."

"She's a beauty," Marco continued, "I'm not surprised that she would have some trouble looking as she does."

"It's true. Romy Reid is sensational." Luke said, "No doubt there."

"And you're not interested?" Marco asked.

"She's not my type." Luke said.

"I would have thought she was." Marco replied.

"The only interest I have in Romy Reid is that she's Echo's sister. " Luke replied.

"And Echo Reid is your choice between the two?" Marco asked and Luke frowned.

"I hope that isn't a disparaging remark about Echo Reid. I won't tolerate it." Luke said in a low tone and Marco sighed.

"I wasn't, I wouldn't. Echo Reid is an extraordinary woman." Marco said. He was serious about it too. Luke had Marco investigate as much as he could about Echo, wanted him to find out everything he could about her life. He'd already done some of that when they'd first met her but recently he'd delved deeper, trying to figure out how they could fit themselves into her life without disrupting it. It was Luke's priority to keep her safe. 

Marco did as was expected of him- he'd found out from her editor that she was the best writer they had on staff, always worked quickly and made little to no errors. He'd learned that she got the best grades in school but never joined any clubs or attended any events. He knew that Echo had initially wanted to be an editor herself as she loved to read almost more than she loved to write but her anxiety had nearly crippled her. 

Marco had learned that Echo had been to one too many therapists over the years, had been given too many medications and had ultimately been found to have sever social anxiety, something that had made it so most people never really saw her.  He'd shared everything he found with Luke, wondering if Luke could really deal with a woman like her, a woman with complex and profound mental health issues.  Still, nothing that he told him seemed to deter him. Luke, if anything, seemed more and more intrigued by her and Marco only hoped that in the end, she wouldn't be the one to end up hurt. 

"I hope." Luke said. "I won't allow anyone to hurt her. Take care of that Paul."

"You got it." Marco said, before changing the subject. "Your social calendar is really starting to fill up.