17.3

Zap.

Darcy stared at her fingertips.

C'mon, zap.

She had seen blue sparks shoot from Ada's hand at Kressick's townhome. She had been scared, but she had also been impressed. Ada knew how to do things; she was special. If they shared the same blood, maybe they shared the same abilities—Darcy wanted some blue sparks of her own.

Her hand remained a hand, sans sparks. "How did she do it?" Darcy mumbled. "What'd you say?" the man asked from the driver's seat. In her mind, he wasn't worth a response. He must be another thug hired by her father. She had met plenty of them, and none of them had had the courtesy of being cute. The new guy was okay looking, but he had basically kidnapped her. After things got quieted, he dragged her out of the bathroom. She tried to fight him off, but his grip only tightened. His other hand cupped over her mouth. Hands trapped and mouth covered, she was forced into the back seat of the thug's car. Ada lay passed out in the passenger's seat.

"Where are we going, asshole?"

He chuckled. "Nowhere."

"Then why are we in a car, asshole?"

"My name is Shylar."

"How can we be going nowhere in a car, asshole?"

In every sentence, she put a unique inflection on the word "asshole".

The nickname didn't seem to upset him. "We are going nowhere specific," he finally said. "Your grandpa told me to drive out of the city and keep driving until he called."

"Why?"

"I am not required to know why."

The stranger's responses were troubling. He didn't speak like a thug. He sounded like a robot.

"Asshole, it's been two hours," she said.

"He'll call."

There were dozens of other questions Darcy wanted to ask, like 'Where is my father?', 'Why am I with you?', and 'When is Ada going to wake up?'. Somehow, she thought asshole would refuse to provide any real answers. Thus, Darcy sat back and put all of her focus into her hand.

No matter her level of concentration, no sparks appeared. However, a small blue current passed over her skin. The color was faint, and she couldn't tell.

When it happened again, she was sure.

~*~