XXVII

It took tremendous effort to tear my hot stare away from Tess and Mason. I wasn't sure if I was able to endure the deathblow.

How dare he? She is my date. Now how am I supposed to look like at a lavish banquet filled with strangers...all alone.

Zoe reached over and laid her warm hand on mine, reminding me that I wasn't alone after all. Marisol still sat with boredom as her eyes carefully surveyed each and every one of the guests.

"Some nerve he has," she scoffed and I looked back at Tess. My Tess.

She smiled and laughed along with the elderly man who was seated at the front of the room. He too was dining with who I assumed was his wife, and a young woman who seemed to be a few years younger than I.

I could see where Mason inherited his, needless to say, attractive looks.

Taking the last bite out of my chocolate pistachio dome, I sighed and gazed back at Zoe who was now speaking to Marisol. The night promised hours of nothing but pure bleakness.

I still wondered what Marisol meant behind killing Mason. Was it literal? Metaphorical? Empty threats?

I wonder...

"But some of them look so young," Zoe said with her tone conveying her disapproval.

"That's what I've been saying all along. I'm glad that I'm not the only person who's concerned."

"Isn't it illegal?"

"You see those girls over there," she said and I followed her line of sight. "It's been said that some of them are still starting college and others finishing high school, but they're accompanying old men to such places. God knows what happens behind closed doors."

She was right.

They looked too young to be found with men three, four times their age.

"It should be illegal." I answered.

"Illegal?"

"I mean yeah, look at them. They're still minors."

"When you're rich, it's so easy to put your money where your mouth is."

"I guess...I'm going to get some air," I excused myself from the table and took powerful strides out of the room. I felt curious eyes follow me out, but with one last glance over my shoulder, I found Tess gazing at me...worriedly.

What does she have to worry about? I thought. It's not like she had been potentially stood up in a room full of people, basking into the depths of humiliation.

Why was she so quick to give in? To give in to men...there was Derek, now Mason? C'mon Tess.

A shot of fresh, salty air blew through me, and I gladly walked towards the railings. The sight was beautiful and panoramic. The force of the ship ripping through the water sent refreshing droplets onto my face.

Only having the company of the melancholic sigh of the wind, I laced my fingers and leaned forward as I gazed at the reflection of the moon against the ocean.

In another life, that night would have been perfect. I would finally get close to her; the woman who evoked and filled the silhouette of the one in my dreams. We too would have the sky, the stars and ocean for us to wonder at. And most importantly, we could've reestablished our friendship or acquaintanceship into something more.

I had to realize that reality wasn't always favorable.

"It's nice, isn't it?"

"It's perfect," I replied with a faraway tone.

"Listen Kyle," Zoe said and I faced her, "I don't think Tess meant any harm by—"

"I know."

"You do?" She asked doubtfully.

I shook my head and rested my head against my arms as my hair danced with the breeze.

"I don't. I really don't and it's so confusing."

She smiled pitifully and rubbed my back soothingly.

"You obviously don't, and I don't blame you."

"Why does it to be like this, Zoe? Isn't something like this supposed to be the simplest of things, to either determine whether or not you are into it?"

"Unfortunately, I don't think you aware that you were falling for a complicated woman. It's not easy being in her position and it's hard for her to adjust out of it."

"Then why can't she just tell me that? Is it so hard, to tell me that I'm better off without her because I'm not what she's looking for?" I hesitated and straightened up, "I would've understood that, Zoe, I really don't have a choice. I mean gosh— how many people are lucky enough to land in a position like mine? It would've been better if she stuck on just a friendly basis, but other times she seems to let on more."

She continued to rub my back and I sighed ruefully.

"I don't mean to burden out my issues to you."

"Kyle, you're not burdening me of anything. I hate to see you like this, and I'm here for you."

My heart clenched painfully as I stared at the woman who stood beautifully in the fading light. Oh Zoe.

"What is it about men, Zoe?"

"What do you mean?" She frowned.

"She's so particular about us, and in most cases I'd expect her to be precautious...maybe firm. I don't mean to be insensitive, but it hurts to watch her give in to other people's wishes."

She paused and searched my face for a while.

"I wish I could answer that."

"You must know. Tell me what you know."

"I don't know anything."

"But that time at the funeral—"

"Kyle...some things are better off left unknown. I myself am not in a position to speak for her, I don't even know much about what goes on in her head. I'm sorry." I slumped with defeat.

"Okay, I'm sorry too."

"It's okay," she whispered and we both gazed at the water wistfully.

Am I ever going to get answers to anything?

"Did you see the note?" My ears perked up at her words.

"I did— was it you?"

"No, but if you're ever going to need some sort of clarification about your situation, then I think that's the closest you will get."

"You think so?"

"Would be weird to receive that if it wasn't the case, right?" I bit my lip and contemplated on the idea.

"Maybe."

"Yes," she said and shifted her body in my direction.

"Oh Zoe," I breathed out and pulled her into an embrace. She received me warmly, her hands pressed onto my back as we stood there for a while.

I was so overwhelmed by the appreciation I had for her.

"Thank you," I mumbled.

"Anytime."

And when we finally pulled away, we both sported ridiculous smiles on our faces.

"We should get going."

"Right," I said and turned around. But at that very same second, I noticed a shadow like figure emerge back into the darkness, seemingly watching us and disappearing in fear of being discovered.

I frowned and glanced at Zoe who seemed to be perfectly fine.

"Well, here we go."

Welcome back guys! Thank you again for reading this chapter that I had a fun time writing🙂😊

Please don't forget to click the yellow star on your screen and comment!💖