Advertising Agencies

To the public advertising agencies seem to have a mystique about them. It is here, in some pool of creative minds that spring forth countless inspiring commercials, ads, and wonderful ideas that make the consumer part with their hard earned money. Wizards in the art of commercial deception.

An ad agency can be composed of hundreds of dedicated and talented individuals working separately and jointly in the creation of an advertisement, or advertising campaign. It can also be one dedicated and talented individual working alone or with sub-contractors in the creation of an advertisement. Which is better? Neither, they are equal. What distinguishes them are only the number of employees - nothing else.

The large agency has full time in-house graphic artists and copy writers, for which they will charge you quite a lot per hour. The one person agency uses independent artists and writers on a contract basis, for which you are charged a generally lower rate. There is no difference in the talent. The difference is in the style of the operation.

When you deal with a one or two person agency, you are dealing with the owners and therefore part of the organization's talent. When you deal with a large agency you are dealing with a salesperson. You are not dealing with the individual that will come up with the idea, or draw the idea, or write the idea, or have hardly any input into the process at all. Their job is simply (1) get the account, and (2) act as a liaison between the creative people and the client. That is why I don't particularly care for large agencies.

You convey what you do to a salesperson, who relays it to a creative director, who interprets it for the team. (Do you see the beginning of a problem?) The team then produces a concept of the interpretation of the interpretation of your generalized desires. The salesperson then brings this back to you for approval. If you don't care for it the salesperson takes it back to the creative director, who says: "No, this is a good idea. Take it back to the client and make them see what a wonderful job we have done."

Back they come. Insisting that everyone in the agency that has seen this thinks it is fantastic, (which implies that you are a complete artistic dolt), and you really should try it. Let's say that you stand your ground and insist on some changes. It goes back, it gets modified - ever so slightly - and here comes the salesperson again. "Is this (finally) what you wanted?" After all, they are the marketing and creative people; they should know their business, as you know yours. Which is true.

I was once talking to the manager of a prominent local business, who was telling me his frustration, and that he had given up, the agency simply wasn't understanding what they do; so with great reluctance he caved and went with what they proposed.  This contract was for several thousand dollars, and he wasn't getting what he really wanted.  I looked at him and said, "Mike, this is your money, you should get exactly what you want."

What I want to caution you against is that some will use your lack of advertising skill to pressure you in to accepting something that you are not comfortable with. The ad is a direct reflection of your business, you have the right to insist that it properly reflects your business. You have the right to be comfortable with the ad.

Let me state for the record that I have operated a one person agency, and I will confess to a bias against large agencies.  When you work with the owner, you're not working with a salesperson who wants to "sell" you, you're working with the owner who wants to please you. 

That is a very big psychological difference.

Large agencies have certain qualities that even smaller agencies cannot muster, but I do not feel that big is always better. Nor do I feel that small is always better. The size of the agency, in and of itself, has no bearing on the agencies ability to provide quality advertising for you.

Here is what counts:

(1) Their ability to relate to you and your business. If the Ad Agency can't relate you and your business, they can't effectively communicate to the public who you are and what you have to offer.

(2) Their ability to effectively and efficiently attain the marketing goals of your company. Unfortunately you can't really be sure of this until you are well into the ad campaign, so you must also have a realistic yardstick by which to measure their results.

(3) To produce advertising that is in harmony with you and your company's persona. If you don't like the ad - speak up and say so. They may know advertising, but you know your business - make sure the ad is a true and accurate reflection of your business.

If these three elements are not fully present, you will feel dissatisfied on some level. You are paying them quite well for their time, you deserve to feel completely satisfied with all aspects of the relationship. If you don't, then you need to sit down with all the people involved and explain your discomfort. That is the only way to be fair to both yourself and the agency. 

Wouldn't you expect the same from your customers?