Wattpad Original
Є більше вільних частин 2

5

Figures are standing around me when I wake up; three of them. The two with bulletproof vests are the ones who found me on the road. They saved me from the monster. I move to rub the blur from my vision but I'm handcuffed to the side of the bed.

One of the strangers, the one I don't recognize, steps forward and places her hand against my forehead. "No fever. Maybe she isn't turning after all."

The woman is tall and built with lean muscle, African American, with curly brown hair and eyes that match. There's a handgun holstered on her hip and she's wearing cargo pants and a black T-shirt. The only people who were allowed weapons at West Hill were in positions of power. Those people were not women and certainly not people of color.

"I won't use it unless you make me," she says, flashing me a warm smile. "What's your name, sweetie?" She pulls a stool from the corner and sits.

I clear my throat. "I'm Charlie." My voice sounds raspy and deep like I'm getting over bronchitis. "Charlie Greene."

She nods, her eyebrows pulling together. "My name is Morgan. I'm the camp leader here. Where are you from, Miss Greene?"

"West Hill."

One of the strangers behind her makes a disapproving noise in the back of her throat. "She's a spy," she says, her fingers tightening around the rifle hanging over her shoulder. "West Hill doesn't have female soldiers."

"Burke," Morgan warns.

"I'm not a soldier," I tell the woman in the back. Burke. "They threw me out."

She steps forward, her light eyes narrowing on my face. "You committed a crime then."

I don't say anything.

Morgan looks at me. "What happened, Miss Greene?"

I swallow. They'll throw me back to the Red Zone if they know I murdered someone. "I was caught hooking up with my best friend." It's not a complete lie. That is how this all started.

"That's not a punishable crime in West Hill," Burke says. "Stop lying to us."

I stare at her. "My best friend is female."

Burke's pale cheeks flush pink.

Morgan snorts. "Are you done making an ass of yourself?" she asks Burke. "Why don't you and Sam go do some rounds?"

Burke sighs. The soldier against the wall pats her on the back and they leave.

Morgan faces me again. "Don't mind her. Burke is our new team lead for The Rangers. She's trying to adjust to the position. Now," she pauses, "start from the beginning and tell me the truth." She leans in closer. "I'll know if you're lying."

I tell her everything. Jada, Ralf, the murder.

She makes sympathetic noises throughout the story and even gasps when I get to the part about fighting my way through the horde to get here.

"Well, unfortunately," she stands and pushes the stool to the side, "I'm not allowed to take you into our camp if you have a criminal background."

My heart stops. Am I going to have to escape another execution? Maybe I can survive in the Red Zone. I could start a farm and take care of myself in the middle of nowhere.

She pulls a small key from her pocket and unlocks the handcuff from my wrist.

"So," she nods for me to follow her. "I will let Burke know that you were arrested and prosecuted for homosexuality and everything you told me stays between us. Understand?"