twenty-six

BEAU

"Well this fucking sucks," I kick at the soggy clothing strewn across the bedroom floor of my LA apartment. Several inches of water pool around my boots, splashing as workers flit about, carrying furniture into the hallway so they can assess for damage.

It doesn't take a genius to see the place is destroyed, I think to myself, eyeing the water falling from the ceiling.

"Anything that might be saved is outside," The guy I spoke with over the phone directs me to the hall before turning his attention back to his crew.

I nod wordlessly, knowing there's not much of value in the place anyways. They're just things, after all. Still, there are a couple of guitars I wouldn't mind holding onto, if I'm able.

Thank God we'd had a couple days off in the schedule, I let out another sigh. I had enough to deal with as it was this morning - I needed to set up a time and place to meet Beck - but the universe seems determined to shit all over me today.

The building had a plumbing incident, resulting in several flooded apartments, according to management. I should've caused a scene - a plumbing incident? With the cost it takes to rent the damn place?

Anyways, as it seems to be my lucky day, my apartment is one of the damaged ones. My lawyer told me to get there right away - for personal items and insurance purposes.

Trudging to the hallway, I feel my phone vibrate and see Emma's face on my screen.

"Mr. Lewis? A moment?" My lawyer, an older woman with a stern face and thick glasses, calls me into the kitchen.

I tuck my phone into my pocket and join the woman, wondering how the day could get much worse.

"Thanks, man." The kid behind the deli counter grins hugely when I place a twenty in the tip jar. I nod as I let out a huge yawn, exhausted from a day of  dealing with my flooded apartment. My guitars, as it turns out, ended up mostly okay. Everything else pretty much went in the garbage.

Exiting the sandwich shop, I make my way down the dark street, the fluorescent lights growing dimmer behind me. The road is mostly empty, given the late hour, but I'm on edge, like someone is following me.

Multiple times, I turn over my shoulder to find no one there. I quicken my pace and keep my head down, needing this day to be over already so I can get back to the tour and dealing with Beck. And with Rey, I remember with an eye roll.

I'm only a few minutes from my apartment building when when I hear someone shout my name.

"Yo, Beau Lewis!" Jace is obviously drunk and obnoxiously loud, as he normally is. I stop in my tracks, eyes closed as I take a deep breath.

How much more can I be expected to take?

I debate pretending I didn't hear him, but it's too late. He's right behind me, probably creeping behind me in the shadows my entire way home.

"What the fuck do you want?" I turn slowly, a quick scan revealing five of his loser friends quickly surrounding me. The air is heavy around them, thick with the sickeningly sweet scent of whiskey and maybe even vomit.

"What do I want?" Jace is so close his breath is hot on my face. My expression contorts in disgust as I hold my breath, the fire scorching the back of my throat hotter than ever. "I'm just saying hi to a friend," He smiles lazily.