Chapter Ten - Nigel

(This chapter contains brief mention of past domestic violence.)

Nigel practically leapt the cots as he hurried through the main hall. He sped down the thin dark hall to Michio's room so fast that his first footsteps weren't done echoing when he skidded to a stop in front of the door. The door opened before Nigel's lifted fist came down against the wood.

"Nigel. I should've known from the ruckus. What do you want this time?" His eyes were clear, narrowed into a sharpness he must've used for interrogations back when he was a cop.

"I need to see that picture again." Nigel insisted, ignoring the piercing glare.

"What picture?"

"The picture of your wife and friend."

"Why?"

"Because I think Senna has that necklace."

"What are you going on about this time?" Michio raised an eyebrow at him, like he had lost his mind entirely.

"In the picture your friend was wearing a necklace. That glass teardrop thing, right? Well the girl I was talking about before—the President's stepdaughter—I think she has that exact same necklace and I want to check the photo to be sure."

"You don't have to check the photo. I can tell you with certainty that you're wrong."

"Yeah yeah sure. But humor me."

Michio sighed, but let Nigel into the cramped room.

"This is a waste of your time and mine. She was cremated with her necklace." He dug the photo out of the nightstand, even as he argued how pointless it was.

"Your friend? She's dead, too?" Nigel took the photo as Michio handed it over to him. It smelled faintly of alcohol.

"Yeah." Michio sat on the edge of his bed, the frame creaking with the weight. "She was murdered for fighting the Genetic Purity Act. They burned all of her things, necklace included."

"You're wrong. Well, about the necklace at least." It was the same necklace, Nigel was sure of it. Sure enough to risk upsetting Michio over it. Not irritate or annoy Michio, but genuinely anger him. That was pretty damn sure. He handed the picture back, tapping the spot over the pendant. "Senna has this necklace."

"I'm sure the design is very similar, but—"

"It's not similar, it's exact!"

"Then a reproduction, perhaps, but it's not the same."

"Maybe—but what if it is?"

Michio tucked the photograph back into the drawer of the nightstand.

"Nigel..."

"I mean, you'd have to see it to be sure, right?"

"What are you going to do, steal the girl's necklace?"

"No, but I really think the two of you should meet. I can arrange a meeting. Just uh... take it easy on her, alright? She's a good kid."

Michio scoffed.

"The First Daughter is a 'good kid'? Sweet little Rim girl, huh? I'll believe that when I see it." His blue eyes settled on the photo, lingering on the flushed face of his friend before moving down to the sparkling new pendant around her neck. "Set up a meeting, somewhere far from the Underground entrance."

"Yessir."

-

"Hey Cupcake, how's it hangin'?" Nigel greeted cheerfully as he entered the Underground's colorful schoolroom. Murals of flowers on the wall replaced the decrepit screens of the old sewer control room, giving the place a cheery and personal feel despite its small size. The panels of buttons and switches remained, but the kids enjoyed playing with the useless things in their many games of make believe.