Chapter Ten

Someone, a deep, husky voice replies, "Yes, Ma'am. Any particular order?"

There's a protracted sigh that cuts through the silence. I don't have to see to hear the boredom laced in that sound. Keran says, "Does it matter? Just get the animals, two by two onto the ark."

"Keep the twins together," Della instructs. "And that pair there that's got their arms snaked around one another." She pauses and there's the sound of boots coming in my direction. "This brute gets to ride alone. Don't think we could fit someone beside him without them suffocating." Someone snorts.

The footsteps pick up, louder as they approach. Someone stops in front of me, pokes my face through the hood. They graze my cheek, though if it'd been Keran, I'd imagine she would have gone for an eye. I'm guessing this little tease belonged to Della. "One-zero here can ride with the Chemist."

There's a shuffling somewhere to my right and then a thud rings out. "As commanded, Sir." Fingers run their way up my arm. "So what's it like?" Della says. Her voice is near like she's leaning in. "Being in the dark?"

I shrug. "It's nothing I haven't weathered before," I say, forcing my voice to come out louder than it needs to be, because I want the others, Rima and Sam in particular, to hear it.

Della chuckles. Her finger pokes my cheek again. "I wonder what you'll do inside the Brights, with all those lights shining on you?"

I gulp and fidget with my hands before shoving them in my pockets. "What's your game here?" I say. "Why go to this length to help us?"

She cackles. "Who said anything about help?"

An icy chill surges through my body. "Keran says we're bodies."

Della's laughter takes on a shrill, maddening pitch. "You'll see when we get there, one-zero." She slaps my back. "That's part of the fun, right? The surprise?"

Footsteps start up again, begin to fade. "Get them situated. We leave in five. Key Forger knows we're on our way."

...

Our Blackholes removed, we still stand in the dark. Della and Keran have gone on, while the Codas stands to watch. There's a pinprick of light in the distance that makes uneasiness settle in my stomach like lead.

The guards who flank us wear some kind of visor, thin, metal half-bands slung over their eyes, that projects a cool, green light from eyebrows to chin. These must be some sort of night vision tech, made specifically for these types of incognito missions. I'm grateful for the soft glow they provide because it allows me to see them

"Why do we have to babysit them?" one of the guards says.

Della called him Dieter. He's a large man, around my age, maybe older, with enough bulk to warrant two of every meal just to keep him from collapsing in on himself. The boy beside him chews on his bottom lip, gaze on the ground. The glow of his visor pools in sunken cheeks, and carves his nose into a fine point.

He doesn't look at Dieter when he responds. "Commander's orders." His voice is as hollow as his face. I don't even think it's registered that he's just spoken.

"Come on, Leeds," Dieter says. "No need to be like that."

Leeds' grimace deepens. He fidgets with his hands, runs them over his wrists and arms. "No need to be like what?"

Dieter sighs. "We're out, and we're fine."

Leeds' fingers turn into claws as he rakes them across his forearms. His pointed jaw clenches. "We're fine, but Emory and Tiggs..." His upper lip quivers.