10

3 Years later

Kara climbed out of the car while adjusting the dress she was wearing. Everything was the same as when she had left the place. Just as pretty as it was back then. The peach petals greeted her way when she slowly lifted her gaze to stare at the empty, hollow house. It did not look like home anymore. Even though it looked just the same as it did three years ago, the warmth that she had in her heart for this place had melted away.

"Princess," she heard the voice that has been following and caring for her despite being miles away over the phone or any other source possible, "back already? I thought you were going to take at least fifty years before graduating."

She turned her head towards the voice and smiled softly, "Damon."

"How ya doing?" he smiled back immediately, a genuine one, and took her in his arms, "Never thought I was going to miss your irritating ass so much."

"Hey!" she exclaimed in mock anger, but then relenting in his arms, she put her head on his shoulder and sighed in content, his familiar scent filling her with a sense of security, "I missed you too."

When he pulled back, he put his hand on her cheek and asked, "Why didn't you come to our home? Mom and dad were waiting there for you. Even though you denied, they had your room prepared the same as it was when you had left."

The smile on Kara's face faded and she looked away. After a couple of seconds she looked back at Damon with the same smile as before and said, "I want to be at my own house for now. I missed it so much. Want to live back the memories, mom and dad. For all I know I can become a crying idiotic at any moment and scare them away upon seeing them after such a long time. Maybe I will visit them later."

Damon saw the change in her but did not comment. He knew she was still not over the death of her parents. As soon as her mother had died, she had shut out everyone and flew away to LA to complete her graduation without telling anyone. She had not picked up anyone's call till after she had landed there but even then she had not told them where she was staying, not even the name of the city. It was a shock to everyone but all of them wanted to see her well and happy. Thinking that a change of surroundings will bring peace to her heart, they did not object as well. Well... except James.

"I have ordered some Chinese food for you. It will be delivered soon. So let's just go inside and rest and wait for the food." Damon offered and took her hand, going inside the house as the driver dragged the luggage after them.

*****

When the night arrived, Kara locked the door from inside and went in the living room. The TV was on and there was some song playing on it that sounded too romantic for her taste. Turning the switch off she slumped down on the couch. The lights stayed on, she was afraid of the dark and going to any room. It frightened her. She had stayed alone in this house many times before her parents' death but this time, the house felt like a haunted place wanting to eat her alive. It was a hollow, scary night for her.

*****

"Tell me he is not going to be there." Kara whispered before crossing the threshold of Damon's house. After getting multiple calls from Damon's mom, Rita, she had to give in and come here to meet all the family. It had been three years when she had last seen them. 

"James rarely comes home." Damon said, assuring her. It was odd that she had asked the same question at least ten times before coming here. But thinking that Kara still feared James' overbearing anger, he did not ask many questions.

"Okay," she said and entered the house to meet everyone. 

It was a chaos. Everyone in the house was overjoyed to see her. Damon's mom even cried when she saw her and sobbed in her arms. Kara's heart melted instantly. She had thought that this was going to be awkward, meeting them after so long. But it was not awkward at all. It felt like heaven.

"Mom, you are gonna crush this fragile thing." Damon joked and hugged her from behind, wrapping his hand around his mother as well and making them a sandwich with her in between.

"Shut your mouth." Kara and Rita said at the same time, making him grumble in annoyance.

"My darling girl." Laura, Damon's grandma called out sweetly and Kara was once again in the arms of someone else in place of Rita, "You gave me so much pain," she complained in trembling voice, "In three years you did not come back even after I begged you so much. Did you know how much my heart is paining?"

Kara held the tears from falling out of her eyes and whispered gently, "Missed you too. So much."

*****

"I also want him to come, damn it!" Damon's dad, Neil shouted furiously, "But he ruins everything! I can not control him. He is not a damn kid!"

"Dad, please." Damon said gently, "I know James' anger makes it harder for us to communicate with him, but how can we not invite him to my engagement? He is my brother after all."

"Neil, please calm down." Rita begged, "He should be in the engagement. We will keep a small engagement with minimal people."

"Whatever!" Neil slammed down the book in his hand angrily on the table, "but I know him. He is going to ruin everything again. Trust me on this."

*****

It had been a week since Kara had come back. She had not been able to sleep for the past seven days at her home. Her eyes had grown tired and there were dark circles under them, making her look like a zombie, not human.

Accepting defeat, she agreed to sleep at Damon's place. Her room was the same as she had left it. And for the first time in those seven days, she had fallen asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.

When she woke up in the morning, it was almost ten AM. After freshening up, she slipped out of her room to have breakfast. She had just finished her meal, wiped her mouth and as soon as she lifted her eyes up, she saw the nightmare she was dreading, walking inside the house with sure, intimidating steps.