8 | Playing It Safe

Y/N

_

"PLEASE TELL ME that's not your bike," I said, skidding down the stairs.

I honestly couldn't remember much of my day, considering most of it was spent watching the clock, but I didn't care. It was four, I had a 'not date' date, and Louis was already waiting for me at the bottom of the steps.

"It's mine," he smiled, running a hand through his hair, "do you like it?"

I glanced at the black bike, then back at him, then back to the bike. Was he joking around with me?

I chuckled nervously, "how are we both going to fit on there?"

"I have a seat extension on the back," he grinned, "unless you'd prefer to sit in the basket."

I glanced at the wire basket attached to the front of his bike, and nudged him in the shoulder. He found this particularly amusing, but I was terrified. I didn't know two people could fit on one bike, and I didn't even know if Louis could ride a bike.

"Oh, hush," I pouted, "I'm risking my life getting on that thing."

"Then let's die together."

"Louis, that's horribly morbid."

"Yeah..." the boy said, scratching the back of his head sheepishly, "I was trying to be cute, but that just came out...wrong."

"Yes, it did."

"Shall we go, then?" He suggested, desperately trying to change the conversation, "to the palace?"

I almost let out a laugh. That sounded like something straight out of a Disney movie. Shall we go to the palace, the prince said, I'll forget your face and only remember your shoe size! Okay, I'd assume Louis would be a better prince than the one from Cinderella.

"So do I just climb on?" I said nervously, watching as Louis situated himself onto the seat.

"Here, let me help you."

Sticking out his hand, Louis kicked the bike stand into place and stood back onto his feet. Putting my hand in his, I let him lead me towards the seat extension and I cautiously hopped on.

After a few moments of just sitting there in silence, Louis let out a laugh.

"Do you want to fall off?" He teased.

"What do you mean?"

"Unless you want to fly off the bike, you have to hold on."

"To what?"

"If your arms can reach the handles, go ahead," the boy shrugged, "but otherwise you'll have to hold onto me."

"Right..." I said bashfully, sliding my arms around his waist.

"Ready?"

"Honestly, no—"

"SET GO!"

Before I had the chance to figure out what was happening, Louis slammed onto the pedals and began to blaze down the street and past the cars. Swerving in and out of the lanes, I clutched onto the boy tightly in fear.

I think I'm about to die.

No, I'm sure of it.

"Slow down!" I yelled over the wind.

Louis, of course, didn't hear me, and instead seemed to speed up faster. His wavy brown hair was flying into my face, and as soft as it was (angelically soft) it was blocking my line of sight. Yikes.

After what felt like minutes of life-risking bike riding, Louis hit the brakes and we went skidding across the cobblestone road.

"You alright?" He asked, hitting the bike stand again and climbing off.

As I took his held out hand to help me onto my feet, I gave him a blank stare, "I will never forgive you for that."

"Forgive me for what?"

"Almost killing me."

"When did I almost kill you?"

"On the bike!" I laughed, whipping out my pointer finger to the thin transportation vehicle beside me.

"I'm not that bad of a biker," the boy smirked, "admit it."

"All I could think about was the possibility of dying!"

"Well then think about this instead," Louis said, placing his hands on my shoulders and spinning me around, "look where we are."

I was too busy fearing for my life to realize we were standing in front of Buckingham Palace.

Buckingham Palace.

The literal place where the Queen of England lives. It looked straight out of a story book, it's hundreds of windows, furnished stone, and giant black gate. It was surreal to be standing in front of, and I felt incredibly underdressed. Woah.

"See those people over there?" Louis grinned, nodding his head towards a line of people in red uniforms.

"The people in the giant black hats?"

"Those are the Queen's guards," he explained, "some people call them beefeaters, but I don't really know why."

I smiled, "maybe they like to eat beef."

"Not possible," he grinned, wiggling his eyebrows tauntingly, "I'm sure one of them is vegetarian."

Playfully ignoring his comment, I took a few steps forward to get a closer look at the place. There were small crowds of people scattered about, all seemingly tourists, and a few photographers with thier giant cameras.

I was tempted to take a picture, but that wasn't like me. I preferred taking it all in and keeping the memories (I wouldn't even look at the pictures anyways, they'd just waste away in my camera roll).

"Wouldn't it be amazing to be royalty?" I asked, sensing Louis' presence behind me.

He shrugged, "probably not."

"Why?"

"I don't like having to follow all those rules. It's not the kind of life I want lead."

"But think about it," I suggested, staring at the giant palace, "you could live in a place like this!"

Louis glanced at me in interest, "do you want to be royalty one day?"

"Possibly," I grinned.

Crossing his right arm against his waist, the boy pretended to dramatically bow to me, "alright, your Majesty [y/n]."

I know it sounds cheesy, but I don't think I've ever wanted to squeal more. You know those moments where something adorable happens, and all the air comes rushing out of your lungs, and you shake uncontrollably with happiness?

Well that moment was happening internally right now.

I laughed, trying not to melt into the floor, "thank you, Jester Louis."

"Jester?" He said, shooting his head up in offense.

"Yes, that's what I said."

"I think I'd much rather be a Viscount than a Jester."

What the hell was a Viscount? I think he meant Lord, but I wasn't going to correct him.

"In your dreams," I teased, "but if that's what you want to be called, I'll call you Viscount Partridge."

He stared at me in humor, as if he was greatly amused by something.

"Actually," he continued, "it's Viscount Tewksbury, Marquess of Basilwether."

"What?" I said, wrinkling my nose, "who is that?"

Giving me a smug smile, he turned to look back at the palace. He clearly had something up his sleeve, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to inquire about it.

"Nobody," he smirked, "nobody at all."

_

felt happy today, so I decided to double update :))