Part Two

"Victoria! Your first appointment is here!" The manager called into the break room.

    Signing in silence, Victoria sat her coffee mug down on the table.  She gave herself a quick once over in the mirror, to check for smudged lip stick or stray hairs,  before stepping out onto the boutique's sale floor.  

    With a smile and hand extended, Victoria greeted the beaming young bride. Tall, slender and beautiful she knew this girl was going to be easy to find a dress for.  

    "Hello!" said the glowing bride. "I'm Kelly!  Wow! I'm just so excited! This is my very first time tryin' on dresses!"

    Her short and round mother took my hand with a strong shake.  "Good 'ta meet cha!  I'm Grace, Grace Lowmen.  Ma daughter Kelly here is gettin' murried is six months, ya hear?  So we's be needin' a dress real speedy now."

    "I'm Victoria, so happy to meet you folks!  And don't you worry Ms. Lowmen!" She said with a friendly smile.  "We will absolutely be able to get you any dress you want, on time!  Follow me and I will show you to the private show room in the back."

    "Oh geeze Kelly!" Ms. Lowmen said with excitement. "We's be gettin' the special show room!  In the back!"

    Victoria envied their relationship.  Their situation.

    Her mother left  when she was fifteen years old.  She never got to see Victoria try on wedding dresses.  

    Kelly and her mother sat beside each other on the black velvet couch.  As they both trembled with giddy delight, Victoria poured sparkling wine into champagne glasses for each.

    "So." I said handing over the glasses. "How do you envision yourself, on your wedding day?"

    She took the chair across from them, and with hands folded in her lap, listened to all of Kelly's bridal dreams.

    She wanted pure white dress with pink detailing.

    Just like Victoria's.

    She wanted a ball gown with an embroidered train.

    Just like Victoria's.

    The more she spoke, the more Victoria's insides twisted around.  Kelly was describing Victoria's wedding dress, Victoria's wedding.  It felt like the wind had been knocked out of her, she struggled to show no expression of her pain outwardly.

    Kelly and her mom were so engrossed in the fairy tale, Victoria doubted they would have even noticed if she had began to cry.

    Forcing a smile and standing up with purpose, she announced. "Stay right here, I have your dress."

    The mother and daughter shared an excited smile as she walked out of the room.

    Suppressing all her feelings, Victoria walked into the stock room, to fetch them the sample of her wedding dress.

    Kelly looked radiant.  Her long thin frame was accented beautifully in the satin gown.  The pink sash showing off her tiny waist line.

    "Oh ma goodness me!" Grace said "I thinks we's found us a weddin' dress!"

    "This just looks stunning." Victoria said honestly.  

    "We'll take it!" Kelly clapped loudly.  "Oh Momma! It's just perfect!  I can't wait for Billy to see me walkin' towards him, lookin' like a real princess!"

    After Victoria sent them down to alterations, for measurements, She took an early lunch.

    She needed some retail therapy.