Chapter Three

Ilarial's movements were light and airy, almost as though she were floating. She waved at Shade to follow as Jack opened the wooden door to the hallway. Shade was in too much shock to object, so she followed them both down the tunnels, returning to the main room, where Renny had attempted to arrest her. She stood wide-eyed at the scene. The room swelled up with more people, or faeries, or whatever the heck everyone was down there.

Ilarial pushed through the crowd, or rather it seemed to part just for her until they reached a large platform. Here stood several guards and another woman in a great, long, red velvet gown. A tall crystal tiara flashing with diamonds and blood-red rubies rose from her long black hair. She watched them as they approached the raised platform, passing her eyes from Ilarial to Shade. Gleaming green irises bore into Shade, like fire burning in pale skin. This woman wasn't to be trifled with. The air of command and power swirled around her like a cloud. Shade suddenly felt quite tiny.

"Most Seelie queens have light, fair hair," Ilarial whispered to her. "But Zinara was born with the dark hair of an Unseelie queen and the legendary Ancients. Nonetheless, she won the Seelie crown and paid for it dearly with flesh and blood. She deserves loyalty, more than any queen ever has." Shade listened to Ilarial's short history lesson as she watched the room turn to give the Queen its full attention.

Ilarial bowed to the queen deeply and kissed her hand. "Your majesty, I present to you Shade, a halfling who has joined us today. I have read the stones, and she's the one I've been telling you about. She has finally returned to us and is the one I've foreseen for this journey. The magic of Faerie has finally brought her back to us."

The Queen listened intently, letting her eyes drift over her. Shade felt homesick already. The pressure of all the things they told her bore down like a suffocating pressure that swallowed her up. She was sinking into the depths of a deep dark well, without any hope to escape. She studied the crowd and desperately wanted to fade into it, to run down the tunnels and out of the forest as fast as she could.

"A pleasure to finally meet you, Shade," Queen Zinara said as she fixed her gaze on her and offered her hand.

Unsure of what to do, she copied Ilarial's gestures and kissed the Queen's hand. She noted Ilarial's approval and returned her eyes to the stunning Queen as she let go. The Queen turned back to the crowd, and the room fell silent.

"I find it difficult to address you today. The evil that surrounds us has threatened our peaceful lives many times as of late. My heart breaks with the death that seeps into our precious earth. I've been forced to ask of you the most dangerous of requests." The Queen's pensive pause made a ripple of curious whispers ignite. "We must obtain the magic of the Santiran Fountains once more. Our ancestors used this when the earth was once out of balance and evil lurked around every corner. We've attempted to fight the Unseelie court but have failed to hold them back, with terrible losses. I fear our only chance against their vast army is this magic, and we must undertake a perilous journey to obtain it."

She paused, sighing and seemingly upset by what she was saying. "Unfortunately, I cannot go myself because being near the fountain would prove fatal for me. The magic of the Santiran Fountains can only be bequeathed unto a halfling, one of both worlds, human, and faery. To my great joy, we have finally found her, on this night of all nights. I'm most pleased to introduce Shade." Her hand outstretched toward Shade, and the crowd cheered thunderously.

Shade was sweating with anxiety. How much longer could she stand here? She felt lightheaded, and the room was growing dim.

"She will take this journey for it is her destiny. She needs an entourage to escort her and help get her there safely. I must ask for volunteers for this most dangerous task. Can anyone selflessly swear loyalty and guide Shade, our only hope?"