Chapter 31 - Welcome To Stanza

Dahlia

Dahlia recognised the boy a few minutes later.

"Are you Peter?" She asked.

He looked taken aback

"I thought you said you weren't from around here," He said glaring at Guthrie.

"We aren't," Guthrie replied turning to Dahlia.

Dahlia crouched down so she was level with the boy. "We're friends of your sister."

"You know my sisters? They're alive?"

"Yes, we know Lana."

Dahlia had left it at that.

They had then walked through the cave until they reached a large metal trailer sitting on top of train tracks. The boy opened a door on the trailer and Dahlia sat down on one of the hard metal seats.

"This is safe, yeah?" Dahlia said as the trailer squeaked.

"Yeah, 'course," Peter replied.

Roxy sat down next to her and Guthrie sat opposite her. Peter came in  and stood, leaning on the side, after pushing a lever on the side of the trailer.

"You might want to hold on, though," He smirked.

Dahlia froze as the trailer started moving. She gripped the side of the trailer and clenched her teeth together. The trailer started gaining momentum as it flew downhill making rackety noises. Dahlia held her breath as they tipped from side to side.

She looked up at Peter but he was still standing there smiling as if nothing had happened.

Dahlia screamed as they almost fell forwards and derailed off the track. After what seemed like ages the train began climbing upwards to where Dahlia could see a circle of light.

When they reached the top, they emerged from the tunnels and arrived into the village. The village was a blur of activity. Tents were being set up in between the cottages and children ran around laughing and playing.

"Welcome to Stanza Village," Peter said.

"Ey, Juni!" Peter called and a small brunette ran towards them.

The girl ignored Peter and looked into Dahlia's eyes, "Who's this, eh?"

"Friends of Lana's," Peter replied looking very proud.

The girl's eyes lit up with recognition.

"No way!" She whispered.

She quickly stuck out her hand. "Sorry, my bad. I'm Juniper by the way. You can call me June. But not Juni. Only idiots ever call me Juni."

"Hi June," Guthrie said shaking her hand. "Do you know where I can find the person in charge?"

"In charge, eh?" She said looking confused, "What d'ya mean by that?"

"You know," Guthrie tried again, "Who runs the village?"

"Who runs? Well I 'spose I'm the fastest runner, so you'd be looking for me," She said beaming up at her.

"Uh, not true," Peter said, "I am just as fast as you are,"

"That's a fat lie and you know it, you just want to impress Lana's friends,"

Peter turned beet red.

"Well," Dahlia intervened, "How about you take us to your house, so we can meet your mother,"

They both nodded, and marched off as the others struggled to keep up. Peter knocked on the door and Guthrie felt her breath knocked out of her as the scene played in her mind.