Chapter 53

A Xykeree Hydra, its hulk an inky stain against Gosos' pale, rocky surface.

Braced to counter the zero-g that was standard in small, transport vessels, Kaplan tightened his grip on the back of Sketski's seat as the pilot eased the Grey Hawk utility shuttle closer.

At only a klick out, the Hydra's massive weapons and defence arrays could be seen through the shuttle's windshield. Hundreds of ports for troop deployment ran from bow to stern, forming a vast trench in the Hydra's black skin.

Just above that scar, a pale growth clung.

The Fire Witch.

She'd either not been allowed to internally dock or Tras had refused to let his ship be swallowed by the monster.

But Jinx most likely had been.

Kaplan locked down that thought, focused on the mission ahead. Everything had to go by the numbers. There was a vital rhythm to forced boardings. Fully cloaked in the Grey Hawk, he and the rest of the infiltration team were taking up position below the Hydra's massive rear engines, a blind spot for the battleship's numerous gun turrets. Once in position, they'd launch a 'shield bomb' to knock out a section of the ship's shields. They'd take out their own also, along with their cloak, and lose any element of surprise, but they'd gain access to the Hydra's hull.

Then they'd just have to brute force their way in and disable, first, the hive mind, then the ship's engines. Standard protocol for a Xykeree vessel carrying live prisoners—harvest victims.

But this already wasn't a standard op.

Kaplan eyed the warship. The Hydra hung in the void like a sleeping giant, the only sign of life, the faint, automated bursts of thrusters stabilising the ship's position. Why hadn't the vessel made its exit already? The Xykeree had Jinx. They'd achieved their objective. Kaplan's gaze sharpened. Hadn't they?

"Still getting zero coms and minimal engine activity," Fero reported from the Hawk's sensor station. "Even if they don't know we're here, they'll have detected the Black Mercury holding orbit around the system's outermost planet. They should be reacting."

A ripple of psi energy. Kaplan turned to see Zio Tarak moving up from the rear of the shuttle, where dozens of Coalition soldiers carried out final preparations for the boarding assault, Atlas and Sun among them. The admiral's dark stare crawled over the vessel ahead of them. "We'll know their plans soon enough, when we're at the hull and I take the hive mind. Prepare to take down the shields."

"Admiral." Fero shot a look over his shoulder. "Sensor readings indicate the ship's shielding in this field sector has just gone down."

The chill that arrowed through Kaplan came with a sense of inevitability. "They know we're here. We're expected. Fero, coms status?"

The Atillian shook his head. "Silence. Not even warnings from the ship's automated systems."

Kaplan eyed the Hydra, lead lining his gut. They'd been led to it—and not by Tras. Whoever had sold them out had known they'd track the Fire Witch. They'd put "R.N. Kaplan" on the docking authorisation knowing he'd come after Jinx even though, when the enemy's plan had been put into play, she'd been considered aberrant—more threat than asset.

Their traitor knew the pawns he or she was manipulating.

And now, a Xykeree warship was allowing a Coalition vessel packed with soldiers to approach and dock—nine Rha Si included in that assault force.

Kaplan looked to Zio Tarak. Admiral, Jinsin Koel is bait. The Rha Si on this vessel are targets.

Tarak's expression didn't change. He glanced to Fero. "Update the Black Mercury. Inform them this is likely an ambush, but we're proceeding with the breach. They're to hold position for thirty minutes, unless otherwise instructed or the Hydra makes a move to run. They do nothing to spook the vessel into firing up its warp engines before we can disable them."

"Aye, sir." Fero went to work.

The admiral turned back to Kaplan. We implant hardware into the skulls of our unborn children to save them from their abilities. Third-gens like yourself and Callan will not see your thirty-fifth birthdays. Even if Jinsin Koel were not my offspring, aborting this mission would be out of the question.

Kaplan would've accepted no other answer, but—If they're expecting us, L'senuri, they'll have a plan to deal with us.

Tarak slapped closed the neck fastening on his battle suit and pulled up the suit's cowl, ready to attach its mask. The second we dock, I rip open the hive's mind, get our answers.