4│Life Goes On

┌────── . ° ♩ ✦ ♩ ° · ──────┐
Chapter Four
LIFE GOES ON
└────── . ° ♩ ✦ ♩ ° · ──────┘

 ° ♩ ✦ ♩ ° · ──────┘

────── . ° ♩ ✦ ♩ ° · ──────

Mara Adams was woken up early as her phone rang through the silence of the house. She rolled over and picked up her phone, expecting it to be a telemarketer. But when she received the news that her daughter has been found, she quickly jumped out of bed. That led her to ask the question, "Is she okay?"

The police officer, on the other end of the line, could hear the hope starting to bubble up inside of Mara, and it hurt her to have to tell her the truth. "No, actually, I'm sending officers over to your house now." She spoke, unable to tell Mara the truth over the phone. She didn't want to be the one who broke the news to her.

Mara had been waiting ten years for any sort of lead that might suggest where her daughter had gone. She had spent many countless nights sitting on Rosalie's bed and staring at their picture. She wanted more than anything for her daughter to be safe and return home unharmed, but she knew that would be too good to be true. A part of her feared the worst even in the beginning, but now a decade later, she was almost certain. But still, hearing that the officers were coming to her house to tell her something regarding her daughter did little to spark hope. Instead, it filled her with dread. She had prepared herself for years of hearing that her daughter was dead, but it was something she never wanted to hear.

She quickly got out of bed and threw on some clothes before making her way into the living room. It wasn't too long before there was a knock on the front door. Mara let out a breath and walked over to the door, and opened it. Two officers stood there, and when they saw her, they looked between each other, wondering who would speak first.

"Ms. Adams, your daughter, was found this morning." The taller officer said softly. It was hard for him to say this, considering he had a daughter of his own and couldn't imagine the pain that Mara must be going through.

Despite the growing fear of what these people were going to tell her, Mara looked up at them, hopeful, "Where is she?"

"I'm sorry, but your daughter is in at the forensic lab." The other officer said, and after those words left his mouth, Mara felt like the air had been sucked out of her, and she struggled to breathe. She had to lean forward and brace herself against the door to keep from falling to the ground. "We can take you there if you would like." The officer said.

Tears flooded her eyes, but she nodded her head. She needed to see her because she knew that if she didn't, then she would always believe in the possibility that Rosalie is still out there somewhere.

...

The three guys stood outside the building where Reggie's house used to be. They had been looking for it when they were interrupted earlier by the police. Though Reggie was sad about his house no longer being here, he couldn't seem to take his mind off of Rosalie, the girl they had just met. None of the guys could. She was the first ghost they had seen since they had been back. Granted, they have only been back for like a day.