𝟎𝟔. Benny Watts

American Chess Congress, New York – Day 3

Beth was paralyzed due to the shock of seeing Benny Watts after years without hearing directly from him. A tremor of excitement went through her body and her desire to hug him was slowly rising.

"   What are you doing here? "  Beth asked, trying her best to hide her enthusiasm.

On the other hand, Benny was feeling like crap. He spent months waiting for a call from her, a letter, anything. But in returns, he didn't get nothing. For two months, he tried to reach her, but she never picked up his calls and, even without any courage to confess out loud, he considered visiting her just to make sure everything was ok with her. Only considered. After cooling off, he saw how stupid it was. He wouldn't put his pride aside for a girl that never had consideration to call him once, after Russia Tournament.

"   I don't know if you forgot but I live here. " His face didn't show any emotion or any excitement.

Beth was conscious about what he was feeling about her right now. But she didn't expect him to be so resentful with her. "    Y-Yes I know but, I didn't see you here so I thought you were on trip... " Every word Beth said, made her feel like she was burying her own grave, full of shame for not knowing what to do to make things less awkward.

"   I've been training for US Championship. So no, I haven't been travelling. " He shrugged his shoulders.

Benny was trying to avoid visual contact with her. He couldn't stand looking too much time at her. No, it had nothing to do with the disappointment he was carrying in his heart. The truth was, if he looked at her too much time, he couldn't promise any self-control. Benny knew that probably Elizabeth would make him swallow his pride with her hazel eyes. Or at least, what's left of it. He walked calmly to balcony and Beth returned to her seat, noticing the distance between them.

Beth started to play with her fingers above the balcony, trying to avoid the tension which hovered above them. The silence wasn't pleasant as it used to be, at New. Right now, the lack of sound was overwhelming and uncomfortable.

" Two orange and apple juices. " The barman broke the silence, serving them their orders. After that he made his way to the hall, leaving Beth and Benny alone.

Elizabeth stared at him blankly, wondering what he was thinking. She observed every movement he was making. The way he wrapped his fingers around the glass, the way he took the cup to his mouth. Before she realized, her cheeks were already in flames.

And of course, Benny was aware that he was being studied by Elizabeth. He did not hate it, far from it. Quite the opposite: he enjoyed seeing her observing him so carefully. She only looked at him in that way when they played chess. Even liking it, that did not erase the questions he kept in his mind and made him lost some nights of sleep.

" Why you never called, Beth? "

Beth didn't know what to answer. I mean, she knows why she never called him, but she didn't know how to explain. Beth couldn't find words to confess how messed up she felt after winning the World Tournament, she was feeling powerless for not knowing how to express herself. On the other hand, she tried. Once. But that time, he was with another girl. She would never mention that occurrence. She was still feeling embarrassed.

"   I tried but..."

"    But what? Did chess pieces cut out your wires? "  His words overflowed irony and scorn. Benny didn't expect such cheap answer.

She didn't like his ton talking to her. After everything, she knew what she did, and she was aware about the way she ruined any chance that could possibly exist.

"    Why you never called if you wanted to talk, then? "  She faced him, holding a serious expression on her face.

Benny looked way, he putted his hat on balcony and then looked at her. He gazed at her in silence and then, he took a deep sigh before answering. "    That's the problem, Harmon. I tried. Even after you bumped me, I tried to reach you. But you were incommunicable."

"    I changed my number." Beth was feeling bad right now. Like, really bad. She never thought about that scenario. She thought that after Russia, he would forget her existence.

"   You can memorize million matches, but you can't memorize a telephone number?" Benny retorts, with a wry smile. If she was trying to fix things, she was doing a terrible job. He felt meaningless in her life like he never existed for her. "  I thought we had more in common than the chess table. Guess I was wrong.

"   And we had-"

"   Did we? Maybe we are living in separate dimensions. But it's ok, Beth. " Benny rose from the seat and took two coins from his jacket's pocket. " Have a lovely time in New York.

She started feeling dizzy with the direction of conversation. Nothing went as planned. She only had one more chance. Watching him putting the coins in balcony, she put her hand on his. Both look at each other and before he could say a word, she took his turn.

" Look, I know alright? I'm conscious about how I ruined everything. I know my actions weren't the best but after the tournament, I went through some troubles and I didn't feel comfortable talking to nobody except Jolene. Obviously, I memorized your number and yes, I tried to call you but... " Elizabeth couldn't stop staring at Benny's face. He was focused on her eyes.  " But when I called, you were with someone else and I didn't want to get you in trouble." 

Benny didn't know what to feel with her speech. She seemed very honest in everything she said. Her rosy cheeks showed how embarrassed she was for saying those things. He analyzed her face meticulously. Her big eyes, the way she was pressing her lips showing how nervous she was. Everything about Elizabeth Harmon seemed right for Benny Watts.

"    Trouble? What kind of trouble?"

"   I don't know Benny! "  Beth answered ironically. "  Let's suppose she was your girlfriend. She could get mad at you because a girl called you at 3 A.M. Don't you think?

"    A good talk fixes everything, don't you think?" Benny rolled his eyes.

Beth couldn't help herself but think about his answer. He didn't deny it. But also, he didn't confirm it. Was he dating with that girl?

"   Wait, are you dating someone? " She took her hand from his and observed him, surprised.

"  Maybe I am? " He answered in same ton as her. " Hm, I don't know. " His eyes started to travel around the bar, making Beth more confused. She looked behind her, trying to understand him. "Benny Watts." Elizabeth's attempt to do an angry expression, made him smile.

He giggled while admiring the moment. Oh god how he missed Elizabeth Harmon. Only god knows how badly he wanted to talk to her when he saw her in New York. The truth is, he went to every match during the congress, only to see and cheer for her. Although, he did not consciously decide to show up at the bar. That move was imprudent, but he wasn't able to resist Harmon's charm, once again.  

"  Can we be friends? Please? " Elizabeth finally looked directly to his eyes, giving him no way out. Obviously, she wanted more than that. But before anything, his trust and friendship were the most important things to achieve again.

"   I will see you at US Open Tournament. " He rested his hand on her shoulder. "Good luck."

"  Open?" She raised her eyebrow. "But you said-"

"The past stays in the past, right?" He smiled before leaving the bar.

And just like that, he left Elizabeth with a flashback and with a head full of questions with no answers.

- • - • - • - • -

Say hi to Benny guys ahahahah he's finally here! I hope you enjoyed this chapter 🥺 i already wrote more 10 chapters and i can't wait to post them for you <3 Have a lovely day.