Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

08 | Don't Go Into an Erebus

He grew his bristles, he had on a hat, and he had his sunglasses. He was not even wearing his Luke Edner look. Yet this woman recognized him.

"You don't know how I fucking—" the woman stopped to stare at Jade, "—how I fucking," she continued, whispering the last word, and finished with, "love you!" her brown eyes wide, hair turning golden before his eyes.

"Yes, thank you," was all he could say, pulling Jade along with him. Then he stopped and turned to face the woman. He hesitated, but his peace relied on this woman's ability to keep a secret. "This is my home," he told her.

"Nice home," she said, nodding vigorously.

He allowed a tight smile. "I enjoy my privacy here."

Again, she nodded.

"I truly do."

She just nodded.

With a frustrated sigh, he said, "I'm asking you to keep this to yourself."

The woman blinked. "Yes, of course! I'm new here—we're new here. My lips are sealed. But I want you to know that I've been voting for you online. I've made noble efforts so your hashtag trends on the Opulense and every other social platform. I manage one of your fan cafes and I—" her voice faltered, and she bit her lips and winced. "And I'm talking too much."

Lucas nodded. "Thank you."

"Lola. My name's Lola De—" she stopped, then smiled. "Just Lola, Mr. Edner."

Lucas nodded and turned to Jade who was giving him a curious look. "We have to go," he told Lola. "Enjoy Midway."

"Oh, we don't live in Midway. We're actually from Cale."

That made it even fucking worse, he thought to himself. "Great. Still, enjoy the city. I'm sure Cale doesn't offer as much."

She moved when he stepped away, as if she was drawn to him. Then she caught herself and waved goodbye with a dreamy look on her face.

With a sharp turn, he led Jade away from the woman.

"You're famous," Jade said.

"Not really," he lied. "Let's get back to the car. And I think you need new clothes and shoes."

"I don't—"

"You do," he cut in a little sharply than he intended. He sighed. "I'm sorry. Just don't say no when I'm trying to help you."

Jade said nothing until they were back in the parking lot of the hospital. Once inside, Jade turned to him. "You're not used to helping people."

"I've helped others before, but just not someone like you." He drove out of the parking lot and there, outside the café, was the same Opulent looking at them, grinning like a fool, her hair still golden. There was a man standing and talking beside her, unheard. Lucas cursed under his breath.

If he did not go out of Cale, if he did not have to go to this fucking hospital, he would not have met the Opulent.

Why did he even trust her to keep this a secret? Fangirls never did. They would always want to have the bragging rights to the same building he was in, the same ground he walked—the same fucking air he breathed.

He scoffed when it occurred to him. An Opulent. While it was not unheard of, he rarely encountered Opulent fans. He was not that big of a superstar to capture the attention of the most conceited and supercilious breed he'd ever had the chance to encounter.

"Why does her hair change color?" Jade asked, tone not at all curious.

"She's an Opulent."

"Opulent?"