Quest

Aliana jolted awake, clutching her pillow tightly, panting. The nightmare faded from her sight. She took a deep breath and tossed her blanket off. She brushed out her long hair and wove it back into a french braid. Changing, she descended the ladder of her small treehouse and strolled through the woods.

The morning mist hung over the woods from the Long Island Sound nearby. Dew condensed on every surface.

She could feel the damp air in her throat as she breathed. She broke through the tree line and saw the campers milling around the main area waiting for breakfast. She crept past the people to her unmarked table in the mess hall.

The meal passed in a blur. The next thing Aliana knew, she saw Chiron and Percy walking towards the Big House. That was odd. She snuck up to the large farm house and crouched beside the deck just below the pair. She knew Chiron would kill her if he knew she was eavesdropping, but she had to know what was going on.

"Wait," Percy's voice sounded from the porch. "A quest? For what?"

Chiron sighed. "I can't tell you unless you accept the quest."

"Really?" Percy whined. "How am I supposed to know if I want to take it if I don't know what it is?"

Another sigh. "You'll have to trust me Perseus Jackson."

Percy groaned. "You have to tell me something."

The longest, most frustrated sigh yet. "Someone has stolen Zeus' master bolt."

"What?!" Percy sounded both astonished and confused. "Who?"

Aliana rolled her eyes as Chiron sighed again. "According to Zeus, you did."

Percy scoffed. "How could I do this?"

Aliana had never heard a conversation with so many sighs. So, she wasn't surprised when she heard Chiron's long deep exhale. "Zeus assumes that Poseidon is responsible, but gods can't steal other gods' signs of power directly... which leaves you."

"But... I didn't." Percy stammered.

For what seemed like the hundredth time, Chiron sighed. "Go to the attic."

"Why?" Percy asked confusedly.

"There's someone up there who will explain." Chiron, surprisingly didn't sigh.

"But you said..." Percy tried.

"Just... go." He shifted his weight from one hoof to another.

Aliana heard Percy walk across the porch and enter the Big House. She backed up and silently slipped away.
* * *
"Oh come on, Argus." Aliana pleaded. "Just get me to the bus stop. You won't have to worry about me after that."

"Do you know what Chiron would do to me if he found out?" Argus replied stoically, barely opening his mouth.

She forced herself not to sigh. "It can't be worse than what I can do to you."

The comment drew the attention of all of Argus' eyes. "Is that a threat, Miss Aliana."

"It doesn't have to be." She stood her ground. "Just let me come along."

He eyed her with all of his eyes, which was unnerving. "Why do want to go? You don't care about people?"

She couldn't withhold her sigh this time. "Argus, Percy has barely been here for two weeks, he has hardly any training; Annabeth is clever, but she's inexperienced; and Grover means well, but... he hasn't found his courage yet. They'll need someone with them who has experience on a quest."

He raised an eyebrow. "You've been on a quest?"

She gave him a look. "Not officially, but it was a quest getting here." She held. "You know it was."

He let out a long breath that sounded a bit like a growl. "Fine, but you'll have to ride in the trunk."

Aliana nodded. "No problem. I guess my habit of choosing the most cramped spots in hide and seek will finally come in handy."

He rolled his many eyes.
* * *
Aliana slid against the back of the cramped trunk. She grunted as her face almost slammed into the wall. She heard the car doors open and close.

The trunk popped free of the latch.

Aliana pushed it open and stepped out, grabbing her backpack. She slung it over her shoulder. "Thanks for the ride, Argus." She shut the trunk.

He nodded and drove away.

Aliana took a deep breath and sprinted towards the bus. She was one of the last passengers onboard. She noticed Percy, Annabeth, and Grover sitting in the back. There was one spot open next to them. She sucked in a long breath. Here went nothing.

She walked to the back of the bus. "Is this seat taken?"

Annabeth looked up and scowled at Aliana. "What are you doing here?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Aliana plopped into the open seat next to Grover, who scooted away from her. "I'm here to help you."

"Who said we needed it?" Annabeth sniped.

Aliana glared at her. "I don't know, Brainiac, maybe your incompetence."

Annabeth moved as if to grab a knife.

"Guys!" Percy jumped in. "This isn't helpful." He looked at Annabeth. "She's here. We can't change that." His gaze wavered between the two girls. "You don't have to like each other, but can we at least work together."

"I don't know." Aliana met Annabeth's angry gaze. "Can we?"

Annabeth huffed. "Fine."

They both turned towards opposite windows.

Grover stiffened next to Aliana.

Aliana turned. "What's wro..." she froze when she saw what had startled the satyr.

Three older women had entered the bus and all sat in aisle seats near the front of the bus. Something was off about them and, based on Grover's visual panic, Aliana assumed it was because they were monsters.

"Kindly Ones." Grover muttered.

"Great." Aliana mumbled.

One of the women stood. "I must use the bathroom."

"Me too." Another announced to the passengers.

"Me too." The third echoed.

"Not good." Annabeth said under her breath.

The bus rode out of control through a dark tunnel finally crashing into a tree on the side of the highway.

All the passengers lurched forward.

The driver opened the door and everyone piled off the vehicle, except the furies. They continued towards them.

Annabeth slipped Percy her invisibility cap. "Go." She urged. "You're the one their after."

Percy put on the hat and disappeared.

The women - the furies -  crept slowly towards the others.

Annabeth and Grover leaned away from them.

Aliana reached discreetly into her backpack. No way was this going to end well.

The furies stopped directly in front of them. "Where is it?" They hissed in unison.

So much for not being spotted. Aliana grinned. She had them right where she wanted them.

Suddenly, Percy appeared at the entrance of the bus. "You looking for me?"