Chapter 14: Ozis

The coffee had proven to be most desirable, and it gave me that familiar feeling of energy that the equivalent from home did. Of course, the caffeine was the only similarity, but that was enough for a nice little bit of nostalgia. The humans had left, so I elected to take the cup and one of the apples back to my room. If this drink was of any similarity to those of home, I wouldn't be sleeping, maybe I could spend more time on the laptop. I was also growing tired of the uniform once again, it was not designed for comfort, and a new set of leisure clothes had been placed in my room, probably when I was in the medbay. I'd have to ask if my uniform could be cleaned once again.

Something specific was clawing at me, a thought I had earlier. Based on what I had seen, humans developed and used weapons of mass destruction before using the technology in logistical roles. This ship had antimatter weapons, as well as an antimatter reactor. Therefore, logic dictates they must have used antimatter in combat before. Maybe there was information about it on the "internet" like I had found about nuclear weapons. Doubtful, I was incredibly surprised to even see as much information as I had on the nukes, let alone humanity's history with them. Most species tend to lock down their history and keep it to themselves, which only made me more worried. If two cities being destroyed was public information, what else had the humans done they didn't feel could be made available to anyone?

Coffee has an interesting effect. My body was tired but the caffeine was doing its job. A strange feeling, being physically tired but mentally wide awake. One that could no doubt be remedied by being wrapped in the soft cloth on the bed while also reading about morbid events from human history. Truly the best of both worlds.

The instant feeling of privacy and relief one feels when closing the door to their personal space would sell out quickly if made into a drug. The humans had been nothing but accommodating, but they were strangers to me, even Sergeant Gerrick. It was good to have solitude. Best of all was taking the awful pins I had in my hair as a part of my uniform. It felt like my scalp was being pulled on all day, having white hair obscuring my vision was preferable. Even when off the human ship, taking them out and letting my hair just fall around me aimlessly was one of the best things I regularly experienced.

It was probably my imagination, but the human uniforms looked much more comfortable on them. Less tight and more intuitive. I'm sure they hate their uniforms too though. I can't imagine the intelligence of those who designed our uniform is very high. Every time I take the top off it succeeds in getting caught on the scales on my neck and shoulders no less than four times. That was the benefit of the human clothes provided being very baggy, they just slipped on. The shirt still didn't go all the way to the waist of the sweat pants, but it was more comfortable than laying in a tight uniform. I briefly wondered why the shirt was white when the military aesthetic of the humans had been green or light brown so far. It had to be a somewhat comedic sight, me being just this amorphous blob of white, with my hair blending in with the clothes.

It was interesting to see small aspects of human culture through their appearance. So far, the males seemed to have shorter hair, compared to the longer hair I had seen on the females. It wasn't a requirement though, because I had met a male with long hair. All of the males in military dress had short hair though, which must be regulated. It made sense, long hair can be used against oneself in a fight, as it can be grabbed. The humans solved this by simply cutting their hair. We solved it by forcing it all behind our ears with pins, cutting our hair was very uncommon. Curious that we'd both develop extra hair on only the top of our heads. The answer was almost certainly not very interesting, it doesn't take a genius to realize both our species are just exposed to UV radiation from our host star, and the hair protects us.

This bed would need about another foot added to the end to allow me to completely stretch out. Luckily, I was plenty comfortable to fold up a bit. It would be easier to hold the laptop that way, as I learned that it was portable, it had impressive battery life, and you simply needed to place it back on the desk in order to charge it.