Chapter 36

A/N: This is the second chapter I've posted today. Make sure to read Chapter 35 first.

Also, nobody better ask me for anything ever again. *eye roll*

"I don't see anything," Dorian says, looking at the book.

"Let me look," Adan requests, and flips through the pages, frowning. "There's nothing written in here."

"That we can see," Kage interjects quietly. The two of us have spent countless hours trying everything to read what's on the pages— to no avail.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Mila scoffs.

Kage glares at her, and it's the first time I've ever seen him glare at anyone. "It means that the words may be on there, we just might not be able to see them."

"How do you know that this isn't just like an empty journal or something?" Adan asks, not unkindly, just curiously, sliding the book across the table to me, but Killian takes it first.

"It's not," I say confidently, though I have no reason to be. "It's... important. I just don't know why."

"Helpful," Mila says under her breath, rolling her eyes.

Immediately, all members of the circulus respond at once.

Maryn grins, her canines descending. Her eyes have always been dark, but now, they're like swimming pools of melted night. "I've been looking for a reason to beat your ass."

Jae hisses, reaching for one of Knox's apparently not-so-secret stakes. "I will stake your heart, bitch."

Knox tilts his head to the side and asks, completely seriously, "What have you done besides run your ugly mouth?"

Kage says lowly, shadows swirling and thickening around his hands, "I will kill you."

Gabe blinks, as if in shock that she would say that, and with the utmost factual tone, informs her: "Killian will slaughter you for that."

Layla reaches for her sparkly purse and whispers, "I have blackthorn and I'm not afraid to use it."

Mila's mouth— or as Knox put it, ugly mouth— drops open.

Dorian quickly steps in, his voice harsh. "Mila, be nice to the Seer. She has already done more for us than we could have hoped for. Apologize."

"Sorry," she mutters, looking down.

"You call that an apology?" Layla snaps, her hand twitching towards her purse. "I apologize better to my dog when I accidentally step on his tail."

Mila swallows. "I'm sorry, Katrina. Thank you for what you can tell us."

I shrug. It's not the worst thing anyone's ever said to me. "Anyways, as I was saying, the book is important. I... I think it can tell us why our people are missing. It's not just a journal. I'm certain of that much."

"Anyone have any idea how to read it?" Adan asks.

Everyone is quiet.

I sigh. "Let me see it again."

Killian hesitates before handing it to me. "Don't push yourself," he warns, and I roll my eyes.

I take off a glove and hold the book, turning through the pages. Nothing happens.

Well, not nothing. My nose bleeds, and a few drops land on the page. "Fuck," I swear, wiping it off, the blank page now stained. Sighing, I continue flipping through the empty pages. "Nothing," I mutter, closing the book.