Chapter 27

I'm in a blissful, dreamless sleep when I'm woken up by a phone ringing.

"No," I groan. "Make it stop," I beg Killian sleepily, my eyes still closed.

Killian sighs, and I feel him shift underneath me while he reaches for the phone.

"Hello?" He answers, his voice husky. I'm too tired to realize that it was my phone ringing.

There's a pause. "She's busy right now. Goodbye."

"Who was that?" I mumble, still half-asleep.

Killian's arms wrap around me again. "Don't worry about it, darling, go back to sleep."

"Okay," I sigh contentedly, snuggling into Killian for more warmth.

Killian's chest rumbles slightly, and in my somewhat sleeping state, I think it's cute, like a little cat.

I was about to fall asleep again when another phone rings.

"No," I groan again. Someone seriously has something against me sleeping.

Killian growls angrily, "I'm going to slaughter whoever this is."

I make a noise in agreement, and Killian reaches for his phone.

"Killian," He answers irately, and starts playing with a piece of my hair.

There's a pause, and I hear a male yelling into the phone, but I can't make out what he's saying.

"I told you. She's busy," Killian snarls, and I've never heard him so angry before, but somehow still feel relaxed as his hand gently stokes my hair.

There's more yelling from the phone.

"She's not your concern anymore," Killian says, his voice more guttural than I've ever heard it before. "Don't worry, I'm taking excellent care of her."

"Who are you talking to?" I murmur into his chest.

"Shh, go back to bed, darling," Killian says softly, and kisses the top of my head.

The person on the other end of the line is shouting now, but I'm not an Alpha, so all I hear is faint noise. Maybe if I was more awake, I could have heard better, but I didn't really care to try, to be honest.

"You're ruining what was a very lovely morning," Killian says, his voice deadly calm. "If you call back, you can expect a declaration of war in the next few hours. You'll have to excuse me, I'm needed elsewhere. Goodbye."

I hear his phone clattering to the ground, and his arms encircle me once more.

"Killian?" I say sleepily, already knowing that I'm going to pass out in a few seconds.

"Yes, darling?"

"You're kind of hot when you're mad."

****

When I wake up, I'm still in Killian's arms, and I wonder how he manages to fall asleep and still makes sure not to let me go.

I look up at him, and his eyes are already opened. "Nightmares?" He asks.

I shake my head.

"Good." He grins.

"Did you take phone calls this morning or did I just imagine that?" I ask suddenly, vaguely recalling him getting mad at someone on the phone.

"Yes. Don't worry, if you want to go back to sleep, I promise there won't be any more disturbances." His jaw twitches in annoyance as he says that.