EPILOGUE

The sadness had hit Leandra instantly when she'd walked into the room. Her mother told her that new children had arrived, saved from the Flare, and while Andi had never been such an extroverted child, she was insistent to help, to make at least one friend.

But none of them were as lucky as her, and she knew that. They were taken from their families for their own good, but they didn't understand. They didn't realise all the good they'd do, how they would be the key to saving everyone they knew, everyone in the world.

She closed the door behind her, guards standing by it as they waited for Ava Paige to make an appearance, but chaos was in the room. Some of the boys were fighting, some of them were crying, some of them were screaming for her parents. The girls were in a separate room and Leah hadn't been to see them yet, but she was debating quickly whether she should leave already.

That's when she realised there was something else. Over all the noise, over all the chaos and panic, there was fear. Just that one spark of fear, but selfless fear. It's not fear for him, but for someone else.

Leandra closed her eyes for a second, weaving her way through the boys, surprisingly silent for a five year old with everything she'd gone through, then came to a stop. Opening her eyes, they landed on a little boy with brown-blonde hair, curled up against the wall in a ball as he cautiously looked around at all the new, unfamiliar faces. Searching, perhaps?

"Who are you looking for?"

The boy jumped furiously at the new voice, not having realised the person standing very close to him, and his eyes went wide as they settled anxiously on her. The only girl in the entire room. "My sister," he whispered. "Her name's Lizzy. Elizabeth. They took her away when we got off the... helicopter thing?"

"It's called a Berg," she added helpfully, going to sit beside him. The boy flinched, shifting away slightly, but either she didn't notice or she didn't care. "And it's okay. She's most definitely safe. She's in another room. I can go look for her a little later if you want."

For the first time, his eyes lit up. "You will?"

"Of course!" she grinned. "Siblings are cool. I always wanted one. I mean, I had a dog called Chip, though. He was cool. And this is Alex!" She held the yellow bunny in her hands up, offering him to the strange boy. "Say hi. He wants to meet you."

"H-Hello," the boy said timidly, and Andi pursed her lips to hide her giggles. Even then a few escaped and the boy managed to smile a little, but it faded after a second. "T-They told me I have a new name. Is it true? I can't ever be me again?"

"Well," the girl started thoughtfully, something shining in her eyes, "a name doesn't change anything about a person. Not really. People always say their identity has changed, but as long as you remain the person inside, it doesn't matter what you name is." The boy's lips twitched upwards in a nervous smile, and suddenly Leandra threw her hand forward. "Hi. I'm Leandra."

He smiled, and maybe, just maybe, he could be happy here.

"Hi. I'm Newt."