VII. Chatting with the Boss

1840 words

Percy, Tyson, and the two new recruits swam out of the palace towards the market place. Percy thought the short journey would be a good chance to get to know the recruits.

"What are your names?" he asked.

"I'm Tryvil, my Lord."

"And I'm Siliat, my Lord."

"Just out of training?"

"Yes, sir- I mean, yes, Lord."

Siliat flushed in embarrassment for making one of the mistakes his trainers warned him not to make. Nobles and royals tend to be easily offended if not addressed properly. Siliat hoped he didn't just ruin his chances of joining the Loyal Guard. He worked very hard to get to where he was now.

His family has only ever been seaweed farmers. It was in high demand, but there was a lot of competition. The only reason he was able to apply for training was because his father's farm supplied the royal court.

"Who was your instructor?" Percy inquired, ignoring the slip-up. He may have learned how to act princely, but that didn't mean he cared about the formalities all that much.

Tryvil answered for them both, "Master Ciruses, Lord."

"Ah. A very skilled swordsman. And good with a trident too, I hear."

"Indeed, Lord," Siliat confirmed, happy their instructor was earning praise from Prince Perseus.

"Now tell me. Why do you want to join my guard?"

"It would be an honor, Lord, to serve and protect you," Tryvil answered smartly.

Percy noticed Siliat wasn't eager to answer. Siliat didn't want want to lie, but his true reason wasn't as noble as everyone else's. It was practically selfish.

"And you, Siliat?"

"I-," Siliat constructed his next words carefully, "I want a better future. You, Lord, are that future."

It wasn't a lie. He did want a better future, but he wanted it for himself, for his family, not for the sake of Atlantis. And the prince was that future. The kingdom saw him as the key to a prosperous future, but Siliat saw him as an escape from the fields into a better future.

Siliat hoped Prince Perseus didn't pick up on his word choice, though he knew Percy was not as foolish as people once thought. He did not act yet, but Percy stored the information away to use at a later date. They had arrived at the market place.

As they walked the venues, people bowed and offered Percy goods. He nodded politely to their signs of respect but kindly turned down any offers of food or clothes or jewelry or otherwise.

Percy was admiring and complimenting a shopkeeper's array of water lilies when something hit his side. When he turned, he saw a little boy and a disk-like seashell nearby. Two other boys stood off to the side and eyed him cautiously. The three boys quickly bowed and waited for Percy's admonishing.

But the admonishing never came. Percy picked up the flat shell and lightly tossed the disk back to the boy with a smile. He ruffled the kid's long hair and continued on his way.

He repeated his journey through markets and towns and villages many times. He got to know the people. What they needed, what they loved, how they lived. He started many construction projects to fix areas destroyed in the war at his own expense. His father wanted to make him his own palace, but Percy reallocated the money for the people. For his people. The people he came to admire and love. And for as much as the people had his heart, Percy was held in theirs.

13 Years LaterOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara