twenty-three | meetings and ice-packs

Gabriella Hart

Gabriella Hart

My stomach was churning inside out as I felt a sickness to my body. However, I hadn't yet eaten this morning, so nothing I could attempt to expel would actually come out.

In matter of twenty minutes, I would be meeting Matthew for the first time since he left our family. It was the last time I looked him in the eyes, and I didn't even feel old enough to remember the feeling.

He didn't deserve to be called my father. And that was because he was never a father figure to me. A father wouldn't threaten causing pain to their family, and he wouldn't treat us like this.

I think he made it pretty clear that he also wasn't a Father to me when he threatened me. His blood was running through my veins, but he was just a toxic excuse for something that was somehow related to me.

I still felt terrible that I hadn't told anyone where I was going. I could only imagine how worried Katherine and Mike would be at losing one of their girls they had intended to take responsibility of.

But the less people that knew about this, the better. I'm sure Matthew would somehow find a way to them, and he would destroy their lives like he is slowly doing with mine.

You always hear about a father protecting their daughter and holding their hearts forever, no matter what, but Matthew would never be that for me. He was an evil man and I wanted nothing to do with him after whatever he wanted today.

"Just meet him, talk and leave," I told myself as my words stuttered as I felt my voice shake. I swallowed back hard and began to walk towards the cafe we planned to meet, my legs growing increasingly unsteady the closer I got.

The town we were in was quaint and small but there were luckily enough witnesses if anything were to happen to me. The cafe logo was a deep, dark blue but fading as it had been here for a while.

I stumbled towards it and swung open the rusty door, receiving a ding of the bell as I entered. I couldn't help but breath in the slight smell of bacon and eggs in the air, distracting me slightly from what was about to happen.

"Hiya darlin, can I get you a seat?" A tall woman asked in a slight accent, she was seeming to be in her late forties and had short, blonde, curly hair.

"Table for two please," I said scanning the room but not seeing anyone who was male, looking remotely like me and who was around the age i suspected Matthew to be at this moment.

I breathed out a sigh of relief when I realised that he wasn't at the café yet, giving me time for composure and to prepare myself for what was about to happen.

I didn't even know what he wanted, I just knew that I wanted to get it over and done with before today was finished.

Staring across the street, my heart began beating frantically when I spotted a man crossing the road, looking stern in his expression and seemingly with a direction in mind.