two

Alizah was the first one who noticed the secret glances stolen between her best friend and her stepbrother's best friend. If they think they're playing oblivious, then they're the most foolish duo. Anyone with two eyes could clearly see the tension between them. A mischievous glint formed in her eyes as she cleared her throat, snapping Mahira out of her thoughts, whose eyes were subtly looking at that corner where the crush of hers was seated.

"What?" She didn't mean to snap, but that was the only reaction sixteen years old Mahira could give after being disturbed from watching her crush. Yes, she has finally come to the acknowledgement that Ameen Qureshi is her crush. She has tried a lot to deny that fact, but couldn't anymore. She has been crushing on him secretly for nearly a decade now. That's a long time indeed.

The first time when she saw him, Ameen Qureshi was sharing his biscuits with two stray cats. Mahira loves cats and that small gesture of his has unknowingly created a special place in her tiny little heart, which only increased when he saved her from falling down the tree.

Growing up, she really hoped that whatever she felt towards him would fade away slowly, but it grew stronger than ever. And now at sixteen, she was finally courageous enough to admit it to herself that there's something about him. Something so special that it keeps pulling her towards him all the time. She was crushing hard on Ameen Qureshi and even his one small glance or one small smile towards her would make her day.

"Stop being so obvious dear friend, you're drooling." Alizah teased her with a smug smile making Mahira mortified, her feelings were supposed to be a secret and no one was to find out. But her best friend had to find it out like this.

"What are you talking about?" Mahira acted all nonchalant while silently glancing towards Ameen's side, it was a habitual thing, she didn't mean to glance at him at all, not right now.

But the exact same moment he eyes her way, their gazes gets locked for a second. Black against hazel brown. And they remained like that for a brief moment, the world seems to freeze for the both of them. Neither of them could even blink an eyelash before she quickly turned away with a hue of redness on her cheeks.

"See what am I talking about." Alizah snapped a picture of her best friend's blushing cheeks and smiled sweetly at her horrified self. Now that the cat was out of the bag, she's going to have so much fun teasing Mahira.

Laughing at her expression, she added, "Why don't you go and talk to him? He's just there."

"Talk to who?" Another voice interrupted them both, who held an apple juice in her hand.

"None of your business, Maya." Alizah rolled her eyes at her stepbrother's snobbish cousin. She was of her age, sixteen. But acted and dressed like an adult already.

Mahira had no particular reason to hate her, but just because her best friend hates her, she was hating her too. Hate might be a strong word. They just don't like Maya for no obvious reason and yes, they were petty.

"Go away, we don't like you," Alizah muttered with a huff while possessively holding her best friend's hands, attempting to walk away.

"This is Asad's birthday party anyway. Its not like I'm here to talk with you." Rolling her eyes, Maya walked towards Asad instead and then passed a flirty smile to Ameen, who politely smiled back.

"God, I hate Asad and his stupid family. Why did mom marry his dad?" Alizah marched away from there, suddenly becoming too emotional and sad. Mahira couldn't get herself to move her legs after watching the sight in front of her.