6. Brett 22-23/Eddy 21-22

1 year later.

Eddy turned 21 and Brett 22.

"Hey Brett, pass me my black T-shirt?"

"Sure Eddy, here ya go."

"Okay I'm ready, let's go!"

"Eddy, don't forget your cane."

"White cane. FFS I'm not 80."

"Okay, okay. Sorry, 'k, let's go."

"Hey mum, Brett and I are going out for a coffee !"

"Okay have fun boys. Oh my, Eddy, you're looking pretty in pink today."

"What ? ...Oh Brett you little shi.."

"O, oh. Yes, see you in a bit Mrs Chen !!"

Eddy tried to grab Brett.

Brett howled with laughter as he dodged Eddy's grip and ran out the front door. Brett and only Brett could ever get away with doing this to Eddy.

Eddy shrugged. He couldn't be bothered going back to his room to change so he left the house in Brett's pink T-shirt.

Mrs Chen watched her son rushing out the door. His friend was waiting for him just outside the front door, evident from the yelling and laughter. She smiled and then furrowed her brows before she shook her head.

She knew Brett was graduating university this year while her son still had another year to go.

Conversations at cafes:

"Eddy, Eddy, I've got some funny classical music skits we could film on camera, do you wanna do them with me ?"

"So, Brett, I've written some arrangements for some pop songs to play on the violin. Wanna try playing them with me?"

"Eddy, Eddy, Eddy, would you be okay if I put our videos up on Youtube?"

"OMG, Brett!! Our video went viral !! We should make some more!!"

After Brett's graduation:

Brett was accepted as a member of the Sydney Symphony Orchestra.

"Eddy, are you sure you are going to be okay about me going to Sydney?"

Eddy cried. Brett removed his hand from Eddy's cheek and hugged him tight.

"I'm so sorry Eddy, what a dumb question, the stupidest one ever. I'm not okay either."

Their first phone call between Brisbane and Sydney.

"Hey Eddy... Look, can't we Facetime? I wanna see your face."

"I prefer the phone, Brett. I can hear your voice closer."

"Um.. Eddy, ever heard of earphones?"

"OMFG genius! Ok, lemme call you back!!"

"So.. um.. how are you Eddy?"

"I'm f*cking miserable without you Brett."

"Awww Eddy, I'm so sorry it's so hard for you but it's been really hard for me too..."

"Hey, why are you talking like that?"

Brett ignores Eddy and continues with his falsetto.

"I miss you every day too Eddy, I mean, everything I look at reminds me of you.."

"OMG Brett, how come you're talking in such high pitch??"

Brett paused for a few seconds and continued at the same pitch.

"Well, I didn't want to make it too obvious so that was an epic fail.."

Eddy giggled.

"WTF? Of course it's obvious, your normal voice is easily 2 octaves lower!!"

"Yeah, so I wanted to do a vocal run for you that I have been practising so that I can tell you over the phone..."

Eddy noticed Brett's pitch lowered. He might pass as a high tenor now.

"Ooooh"

".... at a pitch that you like"

Tenor. Eddy chuckled.

"Yeah, that's more like it."

".. so that I can finally say to you at a key that you like..."

Baritone.

"OMG Brett..."

It was like tumbling down a hill. Eddy looked stunned on Brett's Facetime screen.

"...that I love you."

Brett managed to rumble out the last 4 words at his record lowest bass notes.

"OMG OMG OMG Brett, I loved that... thank you Brett..!! I want that for my ringtone."

"At this rate I might change my major to voice and become a bass singer."

"Nah, everyone else already gets to enjoy your violin. I want you to save that voice just for me."

"..So Brett, I plan to keep myself busy for my final year at uni by going on the international performance tour and also do an overseas exchange study."

"Um, Eddy, you do realise I'm just in Sydney and not on the other side of the world?"

"Yeah I do. I'm only overseas for short periods of time. It just gives me lots of reasons to practice. It will also give me lots of interesting stories to share with you later. Oh but I do plan to come to visit you a lot so that we can make more videos, how does this weekend sound?"

1 year later.

Eddy turned 22 and Brett 23.

Twoset Violin – Eddy Chen & Brett Yang The Violin Channel 20 Questions Interview.

The 21st question didn't make it into the video because Brett felt the memory was too precious to share with the public.

Which composer were you most intrigued by in your earlier years?

Eddy: Tchaikovsky.

Brett: What? When was that?

Eddy: I was 8 years old. My new friend just learnt Braille and it was the first word he punched out and I got to read it first. I actually first thought it was the name of his imaginary friend till I started violin lessons shortly after.