(33) The Sandsingers

Her name is Makeba. It's a hauntingly island spelling, nothing like the names of the Shalda-Kels I've met thus far. Her sign name, though, is definitely Shalda. It's brisk and sharp, and reminds me of the sign for the fighting, sail-backed fish someone saw in Telu's waters in my great-grandmother's generation. Taiki names the other leader, too, then starts listing off the do's and don'ts of interacting with the Sandsingers as we swim in what is now my most desired and dreaded direction simultaneously.

I only half pay attention. My gaze dashes about the water, searching for sharks or other friendly-or-unfriendly Nekta. Or Kels. There is only the glimmer of the paling, predawn sky on the waves overhead. We're not as deep as when we caught a ride on whatever-that-was, and Taiki takes us deeper as he censors all the things I plan to say regardless. I killed a shark once already. I can do it again if I have to. The leader of the Sandsingers will listen to me.

This self-reassurance does not calm my nerves as we level out at a depth not quite deep enough for my liking. Taiki coasts to a halt on a twisted stone finger protruding from below like a gods' sign, its top as bare as rocky skin. It's wide enough for both of us to rest on. I sit, hug my tail, then release it again. I don't want to look weak in front of these people. Taiki just hovers. I grab my dagger as the pale shadow of a shark appears in the distance ahead.

"Don't," Taiki signs immediately, his face tight.

I slowly stow my weapon again. The shark is probably Feather. She's not moving as fast as last time, and there's something dark alongside her. A Kel, holding onto her dorsal fin for a free ride. My stomach makes for the rocks as it dawns on me that we were riding something just like that last night.

Feather comes within a dozen arm-spans of the rock and jerks sideways as the Kel lets go. She approaches alone as the shark glides off into the greying water. I clamp my mouth shut as my jaw goes the same way as my stomach. What nerve I thought I had fails me.

Makeba is an islander. The light from above glances off her smooth black skin and brilliantly silver tail, highlighting scars crisscrossed like half-woven basket thatch. Her hair is done up in cornrows along both sides like mine, but she's left the crest over the top fluffy. She stops in front of us, crosses her arms, and tips her head regally. I can see the outline of a sharply beautiful face older than mine. She's in her late twenties, even early thirties. And she is not impressed.

"You're back," she signs in a flawless Shalda accent. It's more a comment than a question.

I'm not the only one losing my nerve. "I... brought someone to see you," Taiki fumbles.

"I can see that."

"She..."

He's going to say something stupid if he continues like this, so I draw my shoulders back and butt in. "I came to ask about my village. They've gone missing."

Makeba raises an eyebrow. "You came? It looks like he's been doing most of the work here."

My face flushes hot. Taiki beside me is tired, worn out, and still covered in scrapes from all the trips he made up and down the tunnels under Telu. I am healed, fed, and rested.

Why am I already letting this woman get to me? We've barely met. She doesn't know my story. She doesn't know what I've been through. I refuse to relinquish my point. "My village is gone. We came to ask if you know where it went."

Makeba hasn't lowered her eyebrow yet. Her face remains impassive as she turns the look on Taiki. He shrivels.

"You didn't tell her?" signs Makeba.

Didn't tell me what? My hand slides to my dagger handle. Taiki sees it, hugs himself, and shifts quickly away. I realize my mistake the instant Makeba's keen eyes flick to the weapon. She saw the whole exchange. Scrambling for damage control, I decide to roll with it and let her know I'm armed. I keep my hand on the dagger and rest my weight on it so it tips into view. Something other than boredom shadows Makeba's gaze before her unimpressed mask returns.