𝐓𝐄𝐍 ⸺ 𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐮𝐦.

0732 local hours. Year 7963 (14 BBY)
Shattered Lake, Illum.

⚡︎ ⁺.  ◍ 。

      "𝓞UCH!"

Væmas glanced accusingly at Cere, who had just finished adjusting bandage around her waist, covering the bacta patch she had applied above her rib. She did not bother to reply and let Væmas get her shirt back on. After getting up and taking a few steps in the room, she gladly realized she could walk properly as her rib was better maintained.

"Here." Cere said handing over a fur-lined cloak. "Given the weather on Illum, you'll freeze to death without something to put on." 

"Thanks." She smiled, caressing the soft fabric.

"I have something else for you." Cere said, her voice softening for a moment. Reaching for her belt, she pulled out a simple lightsaber, at which Væmas looked with surprise:

"Is this...?"

"Yes." She answered before Væmas could even finish her question. "I am no longer a Jedi, and I want you to have it."

"Me? But..." Væmas was feeling both grateful and undeserving at the same time. "Cere, I really appreciate it. But I think Cal should be the one to have it."

Cere sat down on the bunk bet and invited Væmas to take place beside her. "You remind me a lot of myself, Væmas." She said after a moment. "Don't make the same mistake as I did by trying to suppress the dark inside of you. "

"You're still struggling with the dark side." Væmas realized in a compassionate look. "That is why you have cut yourself off from the Force."

"We will always struggle. But that is the test. It is the choice to keep fighting that makes us who we are. Take it."

Væmas hesitated before taking the weapon. She, of course, knew the kyber crystal was not there anymore. Cere had to sold it, probably to pay Greez. But this was a start to rebuilding her weapon.

She joined the main room as a light shake rattled the ship, sign of the landing. Cal was already facing the ramp, a cloak like hers on.

"Cal, Væmas." Cere called, joining them. "I have to warn you. This Journey will not be easy. You will be tested."

"I know." Cal said. "But I...we are ready."

Væmas nodded in agreement, but Cere insisted prudently.

"Every Jedi faces the dark side." Her glance slightly turned to Væmas. And it is very easy to fail."

"We will not fail you, Cere." Væmas affirmed.

"It is not me you risk failing. It's yourselves."

As the ramp lowered to reveal the bright light of Illum, she gave them her final farewell: "May the Force be with you both."

Cal turned to Væmas and shrugged, even though she could feel his anxiety: "I guess it's about time we find out who we are."

First, it was the cold that bit Væmas' face, unpleasantly reminding her of the cold cell back in Crimson Station. She was not used to such weather anymore, the planets they visited recently being rather warm. She immediately lifted her hood above her head to protect herself from the blizzard and advanced, an arm in front of her face.

All she saw was white, vaguely distinguishing shapes of rocks covered in snow. She tried to call her memories of Illum, that she, like all the other Padawans, visited during her training, but in the storm, everything looked the same.