chapter sixteen

Pouring noodles into the colander, Yael couldn't contain her smile

Pouring noodles into the colander, Yael couldn't contain her smile. It amazed her how calm she felt after the shock of today. The building, and her panic, had taken its toll on her, but the evening was looking up. Slicing French bread to go with their pasta dinner, Wendy mocked the country station they happened to be listening to.

"Pass me my lasso," she teased.

"You'd be surprised how popular this is in California," Yael defended.

"It is everywhere these days. Doesn't mean it's right."

"Not all of us were raised by a world class jazz musician. How is your dad, by the way?"

"Still going strong. He plays that blues club in Harlem every Friday, just as he has as long as I can remember. I think he'll be there until the day he dies."

"I need to get over there and see him. God, it's so nice to be able to invite you over for dinner and it not involve a five hour flight," Yael said, studying her friend. Wendy's normally wild afro was tied up in a bright paisley scarf, giving her a more bohemian look. "I wish I had your style."

"Who are you kidding? I love this whole California thing you have going."

"Frayed cutoffs and t-shirt are not a statement, other than I just worked out and it was too hot for anything else."

"At least you don't wear those god-awful suits anymore."

"I agree with you there. I tried one on the other day when I was shopping. Way too confining and tight."

"I can't imagine." Wendy shuddered. "It's more than the clothes I'm referring to. You're really Zen and it looks good on you."

"Some days it takes more work than others, but thank you."

They finished preparing the meal in silence then moved to sit at the sleek table. Despite the level of comfort she felt with Wendy, Yael found herself glancing around self-consciously. The apartment was so bare; it contained no personal touches or pictures. In a way, she was still a stranger here.

"So, tell me about the crane."

"Off the record?" Yael teased, earning a mock glare. "I don't know much yet. No one was seriously injured, except a woman who was hit in the head by falling debris. She's out of danger now, though. We're lucky there were no deaths."

"How's Casey handling it?"

Yael shrugged. "Guess we'll see. Not sure he's dealt with a disaster of this level before."

"Are the wolves circling? A line of people frothing at the mouth to drag him over the coals?"

"No, a lot of employees I talked to today support him. It's nice, but some, like Peter, have made up their minds and refuse to see his dedication. I've been tempted to call him, but I'm sure he's got his hands full." She frowned, playing with the food on her plate. "I went down there with him."