Chapter XIV

Isabel stood in front of Anne's home, holding her son in her arms. She had just fed him and the little bundle of energy had finally fallen asleep, but for the sake of the family who had taken her in, she stayed outside. Anne was right in a way, Isabel adored her newborn son, but she had barely gotten a wink of sleep. He was both the light and darkness in her life and Isabel loved it.

She hummed as she looked up at the sky, a smile breaking across her face. The sound of horse hooves clattering on the mash-up of stone and dirt brought her back to reality and Isabel felt her heart clench at the sight of Arthur's father dismounting.

Henry approached her hesitantly and she walked over to him, bridging the invisible gap that had kept them apart for more than nine months. "Henry, come see your son."

"My love," he whispered and she looked up at him. "I'm glad you're safe," Henry murmured, letting his lips brush against her cheek, making Isabel smile. "You took the words right out of my mouth." Arthur squirmed and his eyes fluttered open.

He let out a gurgle, taking Henry's attention away from Isabel to him. "What's his name?" he asked, looking down at his son in wonder. "Arthur," Isabel responded immediately, "It is something both of our countries share."

"Can I hold him?" Henry asked childishly and Isabel smiled. "Of course, just be careful," she said as she passed Arthur over to Henry. "Support his head and his back," Isabel instructed, holding her hands under Arthur as his father adjusted his hold on him. "I swear if you drop our son, I'll gut you," she grumbled, making him chuckle.

"I wouldn't dare," Henry said before looking down at Arthur. "He has blue eyes," he commented and Isabel rolled her eyes. "All babies have blue eyes," she said and he looked at her. "Yes, but his will remain blue, like his mother's."

Isabel leaned against Henry as she looked down at Arthur. "Maybe, but I hope he's like his father and is kind and brave," she murmured and their son let out a wail and Henry winced. "He's crying," he grumbled and Isabel laughed. "Sing to him, he likes that."

"I can't sing, you know that Isabel," Henry said wryly and she chuckled. "I know, don't worry. And I'll promise never to tell Arthur about that one time when you got drunk enough to try."

His face turned a dark shade of pink and she kissed his cheek. "I'm sure he'll love you either way." Arthur burst into tears and the two parents looked at each other before looking down at the crying baby.

"I have a feeling we're not going to be getting a lot of sleep," Henry said as he passed Arthur to Isabel. She took him in her arms and began to rock her son in her arms as she hummed. Her fingers tugged the blanket up around Arthur and she kissed his forehead. "Go to sleep, darling. Your father is here, everything will be fine."

The small family of three remained outside a warm breeze the only real disturbance around them. Henry stood behind Isabel, watching her beam down at Arthur, all of her love and joy directed towards their son. He wished they could stay like this, him, Isabel, and their child, but Henry knew it would never last. Not when he had his duty to England.

He wrapped his arms around her waist and buried his face in her hair, relishing in the faint smell of beeswax and lavender and taking refuge in the warmth she radiated. "We should head back to the army," Henry murmured against her skin and Isabel's eyes fluttered shut as she felt him brush her hair away from her neck and kiss the delicate skin under her ear.

"Hm, but what if I want to stay here?" She asked, her eyes opening to look up at the sky. "Then I'd have no choice but to kidnap you," he hummed and Isabel looked vaguely offended.

"How arrogant of you," she chided and Henry smiled. "It was a jest, darling. I wouldn't do anything to make you unhappy, I promise," he swore and she looked over her shoulder at him. "Really?" Isabel asked, her eyes hopeful and Henry nodded solemnly.