Chapter III

It must have been a strange sight to the townspeople when they rode into the town. An English king riding with a peasant French girl. They seemed at ease and relaxed instead of hostile.

Henry dismounted and helped Isabel off of his horse. When her feet touched the ground she rolled her eyes at him. "You know I am perfectly capable of getting off a horse."

"Isabel!" A voice called and she spun around. "Isabel? Isabel is that you?"

"Jacques!" She ran up to her brother and he hugged her, spinning her around. "Hello, Sister. I was getting worried when you didn't come back."

"I managed to get a ride." She said, looking over her shoulder at Henry. "Your Grace," Jacques said, his voice flat. "Thank you for returning my sister to me."

"It was my pleasure, your sister is very...willful."

Her brother snorted and she rolled her eyes. "Thank you for returning her in good health." Henry nodded. "I hope to see you again, Lady Isabel."

"Isabel." She corrected and he smiled slightly. "Then I hope to see you again, Isabel." He repeated and she felt a little jump inside of her when she heard him say her name. "Goodbye, Your Grace." He nodded and walked away, probably to go check on his men.

Jacques gripped her arm and pulled her away. "Come on." "Brother, your grip is a little too tight. I won't be able to help with the farm if you kill my arm." He didn't say anything, but Isabel did regain some feeling in her arm as he pushed open the door of an inn.

He walked into a room and let go of her after he slammed the door shut before he turned on her. "What were you thinking?" He demanded. "What do you mean, Jacques?" "Riding with the King of England! Are you insane! For God's sake, you know what he's like!"

Isabel felt a flare of indignation. "I have committed no sin. He offered to bring me to town and I accepted. There was nothing that happened without my consent."

"Consent? Do you think a king cares about your consent? He has been ordained by God and can do whatever he wants whenever he wants to!" Jacques bellowed at her as he paced across the floor and she glared at him.

"I think you're overreacting, Brother. Nothing happened between us!" He stopped suddenly and turned to look at her. "But did you wish for it?" She stared at him before exploding.

"Do you think that I am some whore who would spread her legs for an Englishman? My honor is the most precious thing I have! No gold or pretty ribbon could ever buy it from me! I would never just throw it away on some no good -" there was a knock on the door and Isabel's mouth shut quickly. Jacques opened the door and a woman muttered something to him as Isabel crossed her arms, silently fuming. "Alright, I apologize," Jacques said before closing the door. "Our neighbors are finding it hard to concentrate," he said and Isabel snorted.

"Sister, listen to me, you cannot be seen with him. And you certainly cannot fall in love with him." He said and she crossed her arms. "Who are you to tell me?" He held the bridge of his nose, trying to calm himself.

"Please, Isabel. You cannot fall in love with the King of England, much less a Lancastrian." "I understand not falling in love with any normal Englishman, but why a Lancastrian? We are of French blood and we had no quarrel against them until they invaded." Jacques tensed and Isabel swallowed.

"Right, Brother?" He sighed and turned to look out the window.

"Father..." He trailed off and she narrowed her eyes at him. "Tell me, Jacques. We have never kept secrets from each other, don't start now."

"The reason why we never knew our mother was because she lived across the Channel." He said hurriedly, making her eyes widen. "She was English?"

"A York."