Chapter Eight

Luz led the way, taking us through alleyways I hadn't thought of walking down, hiding us under shadows created by the combination of rooftops and storm clouds. In my mind, there was no way the lack of sunlight and seemingly strategic maneuvers could have gotten us away from the Hions. They were trained for such easy deception.

And yet, as we walked the steps leading up to Luz's apartment, I realized... we had escaped. We lost them. We were safe. Even if for a short time.

I know they'll find us.

Just like the humans who walk down dark alleys on television; the killer always finds them in the end.

I hear her apartment door lock behind us as I enter her small living room. A single couch covered by a red blanket sits in the center, just a few feet from a television much bigger than the one in my motel room. I eye it curiously as Luz comes from behind to turn on a tall lamp beside the window. Its light hits her, hovering over her as a halo.

She wearily smiles.

And so do I.

"Franklin Cog," the communications device in my ear speaks, but I don't take my eyes off of the beauty in front of me. The fact that she is reacting to this so well keeps me at peace. If she can remain calm during the unknown, then so can I. I can't afford to lose my composure right now.

"You have a communications request from—"

"Put the call through." I press two fingers against my ear. Luz slowly shakes her head at my response. "I'm ready to talk," I say.

"Don't," Luz whispers.

I hold a finger over my lips, shaking my head at Luz. A silent shhh.

"Communications received," my device says.

Seconds after, I heard Leader Mikel. "Franklin Cog," he angrily hisses my name, "what have you done?"

I'm not sure if I should admit my crimes immediately—the Hions must have reported it to Galaxy Enforcement by now—because my Cog Leader isn't the one to try me in court. Rather than fall immediately into all the unnecessary details, I simply say, "I've made a mistake, Sir. I understand that. But it is a minor error with a simple resolution."

Leader Mikel chuckles on the other line, irritated. "A simple resolution?" he asks. "Easy would've been just doing your job. Right, Franklin?"

I bite the insides of my cheeks.

"Never, never in the history of our Galaxy has there been a Cog who put personal interests before the fate of the planet they were sent to repair."

My eyes slide over to Luz. We lock gazes. Again she shakes her head, while I can't take in a breath to say, "Sir, I," loud enough.

"And yet, here you are, Franklin," Leader Mikel continues, "chasing after Earth life, desiring humans, instead of fixing the clockwork machine. Do you understand what Earth is? Do you?"

I can't stand in one place. Using the couch to keep me steady, I move around it. Luz reaches out, hand on my elbow, but I cannot look at her. My Cog Leader's words resonate in my head.

As a child, being a Cog was a dream. My father was a Cog, devoted to his job, cherished by all. I rarely saw him growing up, but my mother never let me forget him. Every morning was a story of his adventures, quotes from his handwritten journals. And when I turned of age, my mother gifted me his watch...

"We placed you on Earth not because it's a tedious planet no one dares to touch, but a complicated machine we knew you could handle. We assign only the most tenured Cogs to Earth, but you... you are the son of Saint—"

I glance down at the watch on my wrist. There isn't much glass left on its face. The hour hand is missing and the second hand struggles to progress; damage reminding me of the harm on Earth I've neglected for days

As I close my eyes, I take in a deep breath and move my hand behind my back. I cannot look at the watch that was once my father's pride and joy as a Cog.

"—And your father was a Cog with status. Rank. The only Brigon to travel over five hundred years and yet, somehow, maintained a family back home."

I can only listen, not daring to look around me. Even as Luz moves closer, hand sliding up my arm, I keep my eyes shut. A part of me is angry with her for breaking the watch; but if she hadn't, we would be dead. The rest of me is thankful for her, for I cannot thank myself.

Leader Mikel's voice softens, "I know we lost your father on Earth, but that isn't a reason to stay."

My eyes snap open. Earth. In front of me, I see the window facing the street below. Rain slaps against it with such force, I fear it may break, but Luz squeezes me, fingers tight around my damp sleeves. I glance at her, catching the hopeful gaze in her eyes.

Can she hear his voice in my head?

"Leader Mikel, I—"

He cuts me off, "It also isn't a reason to lose your life. Galaxy Enforcement will—"

Possibly kill me, I know.

"—Make sure you pay for your crimes. Because of your actions, Franklin, I've failed as your leader and mentor. Your father..."

Thunder roars. I look out the window, at the darkening sky. Cars honk their horns below, the sound of impatient drivers braving the storm. If I had only fixed the damn clockwork machine when I had arrived, the people below wouldn't be in this danger. Outside, this is more than just rain. They don't understand...

"I cannot tell them to hold back, Franklin," Leader Mikel says, pulling my attention away from the window. "I can only tell you to surrender and your punishment will be easier to endure," as he speaks, I turn to Luz and look into her eyes.

She looks up at me, whispering, "Hang up."

I can't just 'hang up.' I frown. You don't understand the extent of what I've done, Luz.

"Franklin, may the overlords have mercy on your soul."