Chapter 1 Chaos of life

I opened my eyes and pulled away from the yellow duvet. Slowly and reluctantly, I uncover my face. I blink, close my eyes, and blink again. Streaks of sunlight penetrate the window and blind me. I sit up, drag my feet off the bed, and rub my knuckles on my eyes. I stretch my arms above my head and yawn. I watch my legs dangle above the off-white carpet.

Thinking about my future, I closed my eyes to hold myself from screaming in frustration.

I am Damaris Lavender; I am 20 years old; I live in my apartment in New York. Yes, I survive alone. I don't know about my biological parents.

But you can say that my biological mother thinks that I am a mistake or a burden, so she leaves me in an orphanage.

From that day up to now, I have always conceived of being independent and successful in my career, but it seems like fate is not by my side. From the day I was born, I think God created me to give me all the misery upon me.

After shaking away unwanted thoughts from my exhausted mind, I go to the bathroom and do my morning business.

I enter the kitchen wearing only a long loose t-shirt that reaches my mid-thighs, pulls out the packed instant food, and places it in the microwave.

After taking out the apple juice from the fridge, I sat on the kitchen island waiting for my food to be heated and cooked.

After making up breakfast, I go towards my room and open my laptop.

The first tab opened on my laptop gives the breaking news of today.

Before I could read the entire article, I looked at his picture, but it was not loading properly due to my slow internet connection; before I could get his picture, I noticed I had received an email from the company where I work as a news reporter.

I am a gold medalist in a journalism course from university, but my working life is a mess and my career is on the verge of being finished.

I opened the email. It's from the news company where I worked. They called me for some work.

Well, it's been a year, and I have not been handed over any promotion or worthwhile work there. They think that I am a waste and a looser, but I don't know what they are calling me today. Maybe some important work note the sarcasm

I mean, I hate that workplace. My colleagues always saw me as a looser. I haven't gotten any serious tasks there since the day I joined, but I can't leave my job from there. I mean, man, you have bills to pay, stomach to fill with food. At least they give me enough salary that I won't need or lack anything necessary for living and my bills are also paid on time with that.

Plus, a new job is hard to find because, yes, I am a gold medalist in journalism, but my working experience is not that

It's not my fault that they never take me seriously enough to give me meaningful work.

Besides this, the public demands the truth from us reporters. Whenever I report on the dark and corrupted schemes of wealthy and greedy men, they (corrupted businessmen) always use their connections and power to erase the evidence from my reports, as a result of which my reports are never shown in news articles.

Sighing, I went towards my wardrobe. I put on a black shirt with black jeans and pulled my long black hair into a bun after wearing my white sneakers.

I locked the door and went to the bus station to catch a bus to my news company. After fifteen minutes, the bus arrived, and I sighed in relief. My patience had been tested enough by everyone when I got on the bus. "Hey Andrew," I greeted the conductor with a smile. He is a thirty-year old man, and he took me as his sister. "Hey Sis," he smiled back.