𝟒𝟕. 𝐈𝐓 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐅𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐒 𝐃𝐎𝐖𝐍

𝐈𝐓 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐁𝐄𝐄𝐍 less than two mere minutes before we had turned away from the dock, all three of us trying to pull ourselves together. Taking a step back while Kie and Pope talked quietly among themselves –something I didn't think they wanted us to hear– I maneuvered over towards JJ, a small smile on my face.

"What now?" I asked with a small hum as he turned around, his red baseball cap in his hand.

"Wait," He guessed, "Go home, maybe sleep,"

"You really think we'll be able to sleep now?" I asked as I kicked a small rock with the edge of my shoe.

He sighed as he put his hat back on, "You know what I'm going to ask,"

"JJ, seriously, I'm all good," I told him as I crossed my arms over my chest. "This just all gave me a new perspective,"

"Which is?"

"Never date a Kook," I replied as he gave a short laugh. I would've to if I had any more energy left.

"Looks like they made up," JJ whispered, causing me to spin around.

Standing at the edge of the dock were Kie and Pope, both in a tight hug, clearly forgiven and friends once again. But the next thing I knew, they were kissing and my eyes were wide. "I'm guessing you just didn't try hard enough, huh," I commented quietly as I nudged JJ in the ribs.

"Zip it," He retorted as he stuffed his hands in his pockets.

As they pulled apart, I could hear sirens wailing in the distance, slowly getting closer by the second. "Hey, guys, I'm sorry to ruin the party, but, uh, we gotta go right now," JJ announced as Kie and Pope hurried towards us.

Before we could get anywhere, or even break out in a run, we were surrounded by cop cars. "Fuck," I grunted as Kie and I put our hands up, JJ falling back into step with us while Pope only walked forwards.

"Pope," Kie seethed, nervous about what he would do.

"Move! Hands up, hands up," A man said, gun in his hands. I had never seen this man before, and I could only assume that it was him in that helicopter mere hours ago.

"Pope, hands," I ordered as he stopped, the man coming closer.

"We're too late! He's gone, God damn it!" Shoupe yelled angrily, "Bratcher, have our guys stand down," He told a few other officers.

The dark-skinned man pushed past us, making his way to the edge of the dock in hopes of catching a quick glimpse of John B.

"Let me talk to these kids. All right, where the hell is he?" Shoupe continued, as the four of us kept our hands in the air. "Where the hell is he?" He shouted as he stared at our group. "JJ? I see you're living up to your name. Pope, how 'bout you?"

We all kept our mouths shut, no wanting to snitch, especially no Shoupe. "We don't know where he is," I told him slowly, never dropping eye contact.

"This isn't a fucking game!" He snarled at me, in which JJ almost had to step in. Taking a deep breath, he looked back at me, "You can do the right thing now! Where'd he go?"

"Suspect has just left Station 26 in a small boat," I could hear the man say into his walkie-talkie from where he was standing. "Need marine patrol to respond,"

"Come on, round 'em up," Shoupe said to the other officers as they began to lead us towards the cop cars.

"Where are you taking us?" I asked as a tall woman grabbed my arm roughly. "Hey!" I continued as I pulled away and strode towards Shoupe, while other officers put their guns in the air.