𝟔. 𝐏𝐄𝐖, 𝐏𝐄𝐖, 𝐏𝐄𝐖

𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐂𝐀𝐍'𝐓 𝐅𝐔𝐋𝐋𝐘 understand the Outer Banks, without understanding the Boneyard. It's kinda like a three-layer burrito. There are us and our friends, the working-class derelicts, then, there are the Kooks, the rich second-homers. They rather golf then surf and talk about shoes from dumb, expensive magazines, just rich trustafarian posers, as I like to call them. The Pouge's natural enemies. And then, there are the Tourons, totally clueless, here for a week on vacation with their families. Chum for the sharks.

I held the usual solo cup in my hand as I leaned against a fallen tree branch, talking to another girl. She had short brown hair and long acrylic nails; she was nice, but obviously a Touron. The sky grew dark as I took a sip of my beer and she talked about where she lives, Canada; hate to live there. "So winter is the only season?" I joked and she chuckled, taking a sip of her drink.

"That's what everyone thinks, huh. Pretty much our winters are really cold and summers are really hot," I nodded understandingly as she talked.

"You should try surfing. Best waves are in the OBX," I told her and she said that she will. I said goodbye before walking towards my usual friends. Making my way through the crowd, I acknowledged a few teens but stopped when I saw Rafe.

Sunglasses covering his eyes, he made his way closer to me and I felt the butterflies erupt just like they did back in the car. "Hey..." I stammered as I smiled at him, "It's nice to see you again," I complimented.

"You too, y/n," He replied with a smile and I was a bit taken back. I assumed that he would've brushed me off and gave me a snarky remark, but instead I found myself having a conversation with him. "Did you survive the hurricane?" He asked playfully and I took a sip of my drink, the tasteless fizz rolling down the back of my throat.

"Yeah, we made it. What about you? Did you get your truck fixed?" I inquired as music played from a speaker a few feet from us.

"Getting it fixed. Need to pay off the bill," He replied and I could see his face falter for a second before he plastered on a smile once again.

"Is everything okay? You seem unlike yourself?" I asked in a softer tone and he scratched the back of his neck, brushing off the question.

"Tired," He answered but from the way his hand was twitching, I knew that he was high.

"You're high," I confronted and he went silent, "Just... don't do anything you'll regret and don't drive yourself or someone else home," He stared at me dumbstruck and confused about why I wasn't telling him off. It was simple. I'm not his girlfriend and I can't tell him what to do, but that doesn't mean that I can't tell him to stay safe.

"You're not mad?" He asked astonished.

"I'm not mad, and I can't really tell you what to do. I just hope that you know how much you can take and you don't OD," I replied with a shrug as someone called my name, "Well, I'll catch ya later," I gave him a small salute and walked away, my entire body buzzing from the rush of seeing Rafe. What the hell was going on?

As Rafe watched y/n's body disappear, he couldn't push down the burning feeling rising in his chest, which wasn't from the drugs. He knew that the day he ran into her by the pool, there was something about her that stood out to him.

Maybe it was the fact that she didn't scream at him and try to tell him what to do, like every other strong-headed kid and adult, he's met. Maybe it was the fact that he knew that a girl like that, a girl so humble and stunning, would never come around again. Or maybe it was the fact that no matter how hard he tried to deny it, every small encounter they had, left a smile on his face.

She was special and Rafe knew that.

I made my way towards JJ, Topper, John B, and Sarah who had started arguing. By the time I reached the four of them, Topper had flipped the cup of beer and spilled it all over JJ. JJ was quick to attack him but John B pushed him towards me, and away from Topper.

"Dirty Pogues!" Topper yelled and before I knew it, John B was attacking Topper. JJ tried to go after him, but I held him back, with Pope helping me. Before any of us knew it, Topper threw the first punch and sent John B to the ground, hard.

"What the fuck?" I yelled as I kept JJ out of the fight, knowing that he couldn't risk another arrest.

Topper kicked him into the ocean with his foot, "Hey, John B, don't make me drown you like your old man, all right?" He kicked him again and now everyone was chanting for them to fight.

Something sparked inside John B as he tackled Topper into the ocean when he wasn't looking. Rule number one of fighting, never take you eye off your opponent, everyone should know that. The two of them threw punches and wrestled each other, while everyone cheered loudly.

I could hear Sarah yelling at Topper to stop but he didn't listen, "Sarah, get your psycho boyfriend in check!" I yelled at her, and I could see her glaring at me. Less then a minute later, JJ and I were cheering John B on, even with the glare Pope and Kie sent me. I wasn't a bad influence, I just knew that John B needed our support at the moment. He threw a quick left punch and knocked Topper back.

"That's what I'm talkin' about!" JJ yelled as the boys continued to fight. Topper quickly threw back a punch and nailed John B in the eye. The two wrestled and John B threw Topper into the ocean and I cheered him on, loudly.

"Atta boy, JB!" Topper ran at him and quickly flipped him into the water, holding his head down. My eyes widened when I realize what he was doing, "He's drowning him," I said in shock, and JJ noticed as well. "Topper! Stop!" I yelled, not even realizing that JJ had left my side.

But there he was, holding a gun against Toppers head, safety off. "Yeah, you know what that is," JJ said, gun pressed to the temple of his head and everyone started to leave quickly, "Your move broski!"

"JJ!" Sarah yelled, trying to get him to stop and I knew that wouldn't work.

"JJ, you got your point across. Let him go," I tried but over the screams, JJ couldn't hear me.

"Put the gun down!" Sarah yelled and JJ laughed.

"Did you say something, princess?" JJ replied, gun still pointed at Topper. Less then a second later, he pulled the gun away from Topper, pushing him into the water.

"Y/n, control your own psycho friend," Sarah shot at me, almost mocking what I said earlier.

"Okay, everyone, listen up! Get the hell off our side of the island!" He yelled as he walked away from the ocean, gun pointed into the sky. Screams and shrieks rose from the crowd of kids running away as JJ fired two warning shots into the air.

"Are you crazy? You idiot!" Pope yelled, pushing at JJ.

"What the hell, JJ, it wasn't worth it!" I yelled angrily at him and he looked at me straight in the eye.

"I'm saving his life, okay?" JJ shot back as he pushed Pope away angrily.

As everyone fleed and Sarah ran towards her boyfriend, I could see Rafe and Kelce watching everything go down. Our eyes locked for what felt like the hundredth time this week, and I quickly looked away, hoping that he wouldn't use this against me in the future.

That's if were still friends after all of this.