Chapter 30

Sam's POV

My G, Monty, told me to come through to check out his new Man Cave. I've known him since high school, and we've been close ever since. I see him every time I'm in New York for Christmas and Mother's day weekend. We also talk every other week, and I tell him more than I tell any of these cats that are here with us right now. I know them from high school, too, but I rarely talk to them. But they're good people.

"What you over there thinking about, SC?"

I look up and see all three of them looking at me. "Nothing. Just listening to y'all talk shit."

"Bullshit. You've been looking like that for about 15 minutes, now."

"He's probably missing his shorty and shit."

"Nah, that can't be it. He's only been away from her for a couple of hours."

I get up and go to the bar area, hoping they'll move on to something else. But I don't know why I thought that. I can feel them staring at me the whole time.

"Yeahhhhh, he's sprung." They start laughing.

I can't even front... I've been thinking about Yemi since I walked through Monty's door. After eating at the house, V decided she wanted to teach Yemi how to do nails on my mom and grandma. So, I called Monty to see what he was doing, and now I'm here. I tried to bring my pops with me, so he wouldn't be stuck in there with the women. But for some reason, he wanted to stay up under my mom. I don't know if it's because they are getting older, but they've been acting different lately. Not in a bad way... just not themselves.

"SC, say it ain't so, man?" I hear Russ asking me while the others are still laughing. I turn around and shake my head at them really being that tickled. I swear these cats get together and think they're the 85 South show and shit.

"Alright. Since y'all clownin', Imma start on you Kyrin. 'Cause we all know how thirsty your ass been over Laurie. How long has it been, now?"

"5 years," Russ chimes in, laughing.

"Damn, it's already been 5 years? It's time to give it on up, G."

"Yeahhhhh," Monty and Russ say in agreement. Kyrin waves us off before turning back to the TV.

Oh, now he wants to mind his own business. "What you watching Kyrin?" I ask sarcastically.

"That's the SC we know. That simpin' stuff we ain't used to." Russ had to add his two cents in.

"Hol' up, though. I'm glad his ass finally got cuffed up," Monty tells Russ. Trying to save himself from getting clowned by me. "Now I got somebody who can relate to me whenever Michelle starts getting on my nerves."

Ay, I don't know about all that.

"All jokes aside, being in a long term relationship is hard work. But then I remember how bad y'all single muthafuckas got it with these grimy ass females. So then I start appreciating Michelle all over again," he continues.

I nod, remembering the times he would call me annoyed at something his lady would do. They've been together for about 7 or 8 years, and they've been arguing for most of the relationship. I never understood why he chooses to stay with her that long if that's all they do. But to each their own.

"I hear you, but I definitely will never relate to that. Y'all be on some toxic shit. I enjoy my peace too much."

He chuckles. "... I'm happy for you though. I really thought you were gonna die alone, my G."

"So, when are we gonna meet her?" Russ asks.

"Meet us at Big E's on Tuesday."

"Bet."