24 | cancer

FOR ONCE, AXEL'S INSTINCTS KICK IN

He only narrowly dodges the bullet, as it whizzes past his ear- just as both Bea and Corban draw their guns.

Two sharp bangs ring out in the air, and two bullets- one from each of their weapons, lodge themselves into each leg making Gale let out a grunt as his knees give away.

"You?" Bea hisses lowly, her eyes dark and furious, "Are you fucking serious Reynolds?"

Gale only lets out a pained groan in response, eyeing the pool of blood that was slowly starting to surround him. "For fucks sake-"

"Y'know, it makes a lot of sense, actually," Corban murmurs lowly, his gun still drawn, "How convenient was it, that you seemed to disappear every time something went wrong, hmm?"

Stella's eyes narrow in on him, with a steely glare.

She blamed herself for looking at the wrong signs this whole time... for looking at someone innocent like Winston- and conjuring and speculating signs that were never there.

It was obvious, so painfully obvious- yet she had chosen to overlook every obvious sign- choosing to go with signs she thought were there.

But the one conclusion that she had chosen to see in Winston, made its presence known in her mind-

-the only way a traitor could get around with little assistance, was if they had an inconspicuous network across the entire unit.

And Gale did have an inconspicuous network across the unit- all at his fingertips.

As a top clearance computer analyst, he had a network of all data in the unit at his fingertips- data that he could use to plan behind their backs, data that he could use to frame others, data that he could use to cover his tracks- so much data that he could use for his conniving needs.

He had been doing it all right under their noses.

And Corban was right-

Gale never had a solid alibi every time something went wrong.

Everything that did go wrong, could actually trace back to him in a remarkably simple manner.

The day they were attacked at Axel's spot.

Gale had said he was sleeping that morning. Was he, really?

He had been furious when he was told that he'd have to work with someone else.

If you're trying to hide something, why wouldn't you be?

The computer signal that was planted at a gang warehouse, that nearly got them killed. The anonymous tip that was sent to Blackwood.