P R O L O G U E

𝘐'𝘷𝘦 𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘦𝘥 𝘢 𝘴𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘷𝘦, 𝘦𝘯𝘫𝘰𝘺.

♥️

"Mom, why's aunt Jane crying, is she hurting?" Five-year-old Lucas Knight asked his mom while looking up at her with worried doe eyes.

"Aunt Jane will be just fine, she's giving birth to a baby girl for you to play with. Every mom has to go through this for their child" Lucas's mom explained while brushing the hair on her child's forehead to the side.

"Does that mean I hurt you when I was born too? Did you cry because of me like how dad makes you cry?" Lucas asked, making his mom smile sadly.

"It didn't hurt because I love you, you don't feel pain when you do things for your loved ones, you feel happy.  And look at you, I am proud to be your mum, baby. Do you remember our game of chess? You have to be the soldier for your army as the king too, sometimes" A smile grazed Lucas's face as well when he heard his mom say that she was proud of him.

As a five-year-old, Lucas craved encouragement and love but his dad was hardly ever home and when he was, the day would usually pass by with Lucas being scolded and taught how to toughen up while his mom would cry because of how his dad would treat her.

Friends? Lucas didn't have any. The boy was forced to be homeschooled, after all, he was the son of one of the biggest mafias in the world, it was dangerous.

Lucas poured in all his love into the few people around him and when he had free time, his mom would teach him chess.

He often was called the quiet and shy kid, but really, he was a watcher. He only spoke when he was spoken until it was his mom.

His safe space, someone who wasn't always telling him how to hold a gun or shoot.

At the mere age of five, Lucas had understood that much like in the game of chess, you have to move in silence and only speak when it was time to say, 'checkmate'

"Athira Novak was born at exactly 10:43 pm, congratulations to everyone!," the doctor said and bowed down taking a leave.

"Mom, is Aunt Jane okay, now?" Lucas asked, tugging his mom's sleeve.

"Yes ma'am, the maids are cleaning everything, do you want to go inside and see the baby?"

Lucas nodded immediately, his eyes holding a new sparkle.

Finally, a friend whom Lucas could talk to and no one would stop him either because Aunt Jane was Lucas's dad's right-hand man's wife.

Lucas pushed the door open softly while his mom lead him bedside the crate where the baby laid down, leaving Lucas in awe.

He held his hand out and the baby immediately held on, tightly and at that moment, it felt like sparks flew around. The smile on Lucas's face growing wider with every passing moment.

"It's good that I gave birth when Sir Knight and Damien aren't home. I don't think I could have handled the curses for giving birth to a girl, right now." Jane said to Lucas's mother, making Lucas frown.

"Mom, why is having a baby girl wrong? Look, she's so pretty, like an Angel. Her eyes are the prettiest!" Lucas said to his mom, now sad about the conversation between the two ladies.

"There's nothing wrong with a baby girl, Lucas. Think about it yourself, is there any difference between a girl and a boy?" Lucas's mom asked her son, making him nod.

"Yes mom, there's a difference. You always say life is like chess, so if you lose the queen, you'll lose the game because even though the king is the most important piece on the board the queen is the most powerful and she protects the king!" Lucas said, smiling brightly knowing he applied the correct logic making his mom chuckle.