~Chapter 27~

"I am no longer the CEO of ZAE Inc."

I gasped instinctively as my hand flew over to cover my mouth. I noticed Skye's eyes getting slightly moist but he wasn't letting any of his tears fall down his cheeks with the way he was furiously blinking them back.

"This scandal was all planned out and I'm very sure of that. They just took the advantage of you being seen with me and used it against me. Whoever did this, wasn't behind you at all but was in the hopes of finding a leeway to crash me down. To completely cripple me," he explained to me with his jaw clenching and unclenching in the process.

"When did you come up with all of these conclusions?" I asked him, still shook from the revelation.

"The day I was removed from my position unanimously," he answered, looking everywhere but at me. It was clear that he was avoiding looking in my direction like he was mortified or something because of his predicament.

That's when something dawned on me. Mr. Miller's words and how I'd asked Skye about the matter but he had entirely ignored my question. "Oh, Skye." I hugged him again, tightening my arms around his shoulders. He did the same by circling his arms around my waist and burying his head in my neck. Even though I was trying to pass him the comfort, we both needed this. It was soothing and I felt better just to be in his arms.

I rubbed his back and we stayed like that for minutes more than I could keep track of.

"I hate how that person is moving so ahead of us after making us almost powerless," he grumbled in my neck after a long silence enveloped us.

His voice sent vibrations throughout my body and I stiffened immediately. He must have felt it too because he pulled away sheepishly. "Almost… powerless?" I queried, trying to ignore those sparkling sensations over my neck.

"Yeah…" He paused for dramatic effects before continuing, "Because I am still the heir to my company." He smirked bitterly.

My eyes widened in realization and I smiled in relief at what he just uttered. Even if he was removed from his position, nobody could trample around with the fact that, position or not, he could still bring down the person wanting to destroy him. That very same thing bubbled up the hope within me.

We were both quiet after that, lost in our own thoughts about our unwanted and problematic situation. That's when something compelled me to tell him what I said next. Maybe it was his crestfallen expression or maybe I just felt like I could tell him anything.

"You know," I started, to lighten up the sour mood in the air. "Sometimes, I wonder that apart from our huge sizes, the reason why humans don't have wings is because we're already powerful. More so than we would want to admit it. I don't know what we would have done if we actually had wings and magic." I shrugged.

He looked impressed with the way his brows were raised and his lower lip jutted out. Crossing his arms across his chest and stretching out his legs in front of him, he tilted his head to the side. "And sometimes, I feel like how in fantasy movies, the characters start knowing about their powers when they feel intense emotions, likewise we humans discover our talents by feeling those intense emotions as well, especially sadness. Maybe… talent is our magic power?" he said with a soft smile.

A smile of my own edged its way onto my lips and I nodded. "So true, I agree." I felt like we were two people talking about the importance of our very existence. To anyone else, it might have sounded wacky but talking with Skye made everything seem so much brighter and less callous. A lot of people might think that he's weird for not actually being open but I know deep down that he has a lot of intelligent stuff going on in there.