~Chapter 39~

And that was how they were declared happily married. Their kiss was like a firework to the already smiling crowd, high on happiness and excitement.

Mr. and Mrs. Robert Jones.

Yeah, I wasn't saying a tale or anything or even worse wallowing in self pity by making up those scenarios.

Like everyone around me, I grinned at the newly wed couple and took a sip of my champagne. Ivan was beside me, spurting out drunk giggles with his arm slung around my shoulder loosely. To say the least, he had champagne glasses in both his hands and he had stopped every waiter passing by him.

"Not gonna lie, Valerie, but this champagne tastes so good," Ivan said, lifting up his glass to show me. I was surprised though because his speech was clear and not slurred.

"God, Ivan, how can you hold up so much alcohol in your system and still seem so… I don't know... normal?" I said, rolling my eyes and took his arm off of my shoulder.

"I know, you should be proud, right? That your date can drink and still stand upright on his two hot feet. It takes skills." He winked, swiping back his hair with attitude.

I laughed but I still couldn't get rid of the pain in my chest. Yes, Ivan was my date. And I didn't mind his company one bit but his presence just reminded me of my worst predicament and how if I wasn't facing this problem, I'd be here with Skye.

A few hours before her wedding, Angela had insisted that we join her but recently I've been yearning for my own space. She agreed and so my girlfriends decided to join me at my place to get ready along with me. I was happy to have the much needed company because I could take their help to dress up.

We were all wearing flowy dresses that reached a few inches above our knees. I was wearing a simple, maroon dress with elbow length lace sleeves. And the best part of it all was that the dress had pockets and I had quickly stuffed my cell phone in one of them.

Chelsea was donning a pink tulle, sleeveless dress while Emika was in a baby blue piece with off shoulder sleeves. It was as if the colors of our dresses matched with that of our personalities. Our makeup was light and we left our hair loose open. We tried to match with each other as much as we could because it was fun.

Keith and Shivaay had decided to get ready at Keith's place and the limo that my dad had ordered for us to take us to the venue, had picked them up first.

Now here's the thing. I had thought that I would be going alone to the wedding with no date. I must say that I was kind of jealous because I was the only one with no date. Ironic since my dad had specifically asked me to bring one. So I was the fifth wheel because Shivaay and Emika were dates while Chelsea and Keith were together.

So imagine my surprise when my doorbell rang and Ivan was standing there on the other side, wearing a smart, navy blue tuxedo.

"Ivan?" I uttered. "What are you doing here?" Was the only thing I could ask.

"Um…" He scratched his cheek weirdly. "I am your date."

I pursed my lips and tilted my head to the side. I wanted to voice out my question, I really did but I couldn't bring myself to. 

He must have sensed the dilemma in my countenance because he said, "Skye told me to."

Pulling myself out of my thoughts, I sighed before looking back at my dad and Angela dancing together. They are so much in love. And all I had to myself was a pity date. But a date nonetheless… right? I know that I shouldn't be ungrateful but I was feeling… low and despondent.

I wanted to cry so bad but instead I resorted to drinking away my tears with some champagne.

"You know…" Ivan began, bringing me out of my pathetic thoughts. "I am beginning to sense that you're sadder and sadder every passing second because of me." He pouted.