Curiosity

The bus pulled up to a lone streetlight at the border of the woods, the start of civilization and the end of the lonely expanse of trees. In the pitch dark that followed the sunset, the streetlight lit the air around it with a ghostly amber glow. The bus door opened, allowing a group of five to spill out onto the sidewalk, three boys and two girls, laughing and chattering about nothing at all. Backpacks full of filming equipment and props rested easily on their backs, as if they weighed no more than a bag of feathers. Suitcases and duffel bags dangled from their hands with practiced ease.

I stepped off the bus after them, but they paid me no mind. They were so preoccupied with themselves, so full of life and energy, that they didn't notice much of anything. One of the boys, the head of the group, began making the trek down the sidewalk. He was a reasonably attractive specimen, tall and athletic with dark hair and warm brown skin. Brown eyes flashed cheerfully in the dim light, perfectly in tune with his gentle laughter. His grin was warm, relaxed. One would describe him as a future leader, and he certainly looked the part.

The first to follow was a boy a year or two younger, sharing many of his facial features. The boy's brother, perhaps. He was more muscular than his counterpart, in spite of his slightly shorter height. Where the first boy's eyes were a shade of brown the color of melted milk chocolate, this boy's eyes glittered like perfectly circular pieces of obsidian. Still, his posture suggested a relaxed easiness, and he smiled and laughed with zealous enthusiasm.

The two girls were nearly identical, following behind the brothers. Both had hair the color of liquid gold, and eyes like storm clouds that under the streetlight. They were both fairly pale, though the tans on their faces and arms indicated a fair amount of time spent in the sun. They were also slender, albeit on the shorter end of the spectrum with regards to height. All similarities between them ended there. The first twin, if she was a twin, had her long hair pulled back into a braid, a map of freckles dotting her cheeks and the bridge of her nose. Eyeliner, a pale pink lip gloss, high cheekbones, and not much else. The other had her hair cropped short, pulled back into a little mini ponytail. A small, leaf-shaped birthmark rested on her cheek, the only visible blemish to be seen.

The final boy was clearly older than the rest, most likely the adult chaperone. He was quite fair-skinned, his arms decorated with tattoos that I couldn't make out. Mousy brown hair stuck out in all directions, and hazel eyes. He seemed friendly enough as he followed the quartet down the street and past the house I had come to investigate.

By the time I had gathered all my bags, thanked the driver, and begun walking, the group was out of sight. I admit, I did pause to look over the house as I passed it. It looked exactly like it did in the pictures, simultaneously untouched by time and ravaged by it. The house even had that peculiar aura so many had talked about. A feeling like... I was being watched. To test this theory, I stepped closer to the fence where

"Sir?" A calm, quiet voice and a gentle knock interrupted the man's writing mid-sentence. He looked up from his work and towards the door, the pre-mature wrinkles around his grey eyes making him appear older than he really was. He sighed and stretched, setting aside the journal and pencil in his hands so he could stand and open the door.

"Yes, ma'am, is there anything you need?"

A sweet, older woman stood at the door with a stack of thick blankets in her arms. She was the motel's owner, if he was remembering correctly. "I'm just walking around passing out extra blankets." She smiled, an act that temporarily erased the worry lines on her face. "It's supposed to be a colder night than usual, and I want to make sure everyone's comfortable."

The man smiled gently, shaking his head to the side. "I think I'll be alright for the moment, ma'am. Thank you for the offer, though."

The owner's smile widened a bit. "Very well dear, but they'll be on the front desk if you need one. Have a good night and a good stay."

He nodded, watching her disappear down the hall before closing the door with a soft click and making his way back to the bed.

To test this theory, I stepped closer to the fence where my foot brushed against what was once an expensive camera. It's lens was cracked, and it's casing was badly chipped and scratched. Nonetheless, it seemed to be in a good enough condition. I left the house with the camera, and am now in my motel room. The camera's contents may be a clue, or simply prove it nothing more than a discarded camera. I will investigate it more in the morning.

He looked over his entry for the day, giving a brief hum of satisfaction before closing the journal up once more. He let his eyes drift to the night stand on the opposite side of the bed, where the camera was. It sat there innocently, the cracked lens facing him. The strap wasn't visible from this angle, but he'd spent enough time inspecting it to know exactly what was written on it. A single name in faded Sharpie, unfamiliar and mysterious.

Tomorrow, he would unravel the mysteries it held. Tomorrow, he would find it's owner and try to find out why they abandoned the camera. Or tomorrow, he would be sorely disappointed.

The lamp clicked off, and the man fell asleep with mysteries and hopes spiraling around his head.