The Headmistress Reminisces

When it came to her professional duties, Imogen considered herself rather organised, which had been repeatedly confirmed and praised by those who worked with her. The two appointments that she needed to make now were not of the professional manner - and she stalled and procrastinated, painting chaffinches and bank voles. She knew she was running out of time, though: Petra was in hot pursuit of the Reliquary now that she was mobile again. As for the second 'investigation,' Imogen just couldn't bring herself to start. She had googled Augusta Popplewell. Not only had she found photos of a woman closely resembling her Nana, Imogen's Mum, and Imogen herself - as well as the woman, whom Petra knew nothing about, but whose portrait she would soon discover in the priest hole in the Oakby Manor library. Too many lines and details in Imogen's life suddenly grew connected - and yet no clear, larger picture formed. It was time to start acting.

Firstly, she arranged a meeting with Deidre Dyre, née Oakby, the Headmistress of Fleckney Comprehensive. Due to Imogen's well-known efforts in the investigation of Mrs. Dyre's attempted murder - and Imogen's clandestine endeavours in concealing Mrs. Dyre's involvement in a blackmail scheme in Fleckney Woulds - the two of them had quite an amicable relationship.

"Imogen, my dearest, come in, come in!" the Headmistress exclaimed, beaming with a warm smile, seemingly endlessly happy to see Imogen in an uncharacteristic bout of lively good will. "Would you like some tea? Or perhaps, coffee? I could see if we have any pastries from Miss Rosa's tearoom in the teachers room. I seem to recall someone saying that–"

Imogen didn't find out what it was that someone had said, since the Headmistress ushered her inside and then bolted out of her office. Imogen could hear her ordering some poor soul to get them a tray. It was rather odd to be on the 'receiving end' of a tray, so to say, as opposed to being the one making, arranging, pouring, plating, and then precariously carrying it in.

Mrs. Dyre was back and sat down at her desk across from Imogen.

"How are you doing these days, dear?" the Headmistress asked.

They exchanged an excessive amount of polite pleasantries, and then Imogen finally managed to ask her question. She put the note, which she'd discovered in the safe in the priest hole, on the table in front of Mrs. Dyre, and gave the woman a soft smile. The Headmistress gasped and pressed her hand over her mouth. Imogen waited, allowing the Headmistress a few seconds to recover.

"Oh my goodness, I can't believe it was still there," Mrs. Dyre said quietly. "You did find it in the safe, didn't you?"

Imogen nodded.

"Dr. Nenadovich has been looking for the Reliquary," she explained. "It was initially assumed it was hidden in the chapel on your Father's estate. Later, Petra has deciphered the notes in your ancestor's family Bible, and it led her to believe the Reliquary had been relocated."

"It had been," the Headmistress confirmed. "It had always been rumoured in the family that Thomas Oakby kept it in his childhood hiding place, in the library. So, when I decided to run away from home–" Mrs. Dyre's voice wavered, and she paused.

"With Angus Guthrie?" Imogen asked. "He is the Angie you mention in your note."

"Oh," the Headmistress exhaled, and then gave out a shaky laugh. "Is there anything you don't know, Ms. Fox?"

"Some time ago, the two of us were in the presence of an elderly lady, and she'd made certain hints about the two of you having an– association in the past," Imogen said, feeling rather awkward. She didn't want to repeat the venomous remarks that Mrs. Barnett, one of the 'matrons' of Fleckney, had bestowed Guthrie that time he'd given her and Imogen a lift.