Choker Shocker

"So, the cottage you live in," Imogen started, to somewhat diffuse the tense pause in their conversation.

"Duck Pond Cottage," Guthrie supplied the name.

"Isn't it the old Holyoake property in Fleckney Fields?" the Headmistress asked, forgetting her ire for a moment.

"Yes, it belonged to the Holyoakes even before they became the local Buddenbrooks," Guthrie said with a chuckle. "The current Holyoakes' parents grew up in it. It's... quaint. Charming, of course, but quaint. Despite being rather small, it has two libraries crammed into it, plus a small book nook under the stairs. Sort of like a box of book shelves, with a large armchair in the centre." Guthrie drew a horizontal circle in the air with his long index finger. "The cottage currently belongs to Will Holyoake, since he's the older twin, hence, the oldest son of the older brother in the previous generation."

For a second Imogen was distracted by the apotheosis of her bookworm dreams that living in a house with three libraries would be. When moving into the Firs, they had had to make an additional trip to transport her books from her parents' cottage, and that's considering that Imogen had never had enough money to fully indulge her book buying habit, and Fleckney had an excellent library, which allowed her access to her favourite whodunits without depleting her bank account completely.

"And is their library collection still there?" Imogen couldn't help but ask. 

She could always pretend that it was the potential value of books that she was inquiring about. And to think of it, she could use the excuse of looking for clues and invite herself to Duck Pond Cottage, she suddenly realised.

"Most of the shelves are empty," Guthrie answered.

Imogen gasped. The sacrilege of it!

"I'm no expert in vintage and antique books, but it seems most of the remaining volumes are rather common, and wouldn't interest a–" Guthrie paused and made a few finger wiggling hand gestures in the air. "Whatever a person interested in vintage and antique books would be called."

"An antiquarian bibliophile," Imogen and the Headmistress answered in unison.

Guthrie looked between them and shrugged. "As I was saying, most of the books have been removed from the cottage. I presume one of the Holyoakes has them. And it's not like the burglars had any shortage of valuables to steal there," he added. "Once Ms. Fox gives me the green light, I have an extensive list to present to my dear DCI Balinson."

"With the exception of the Reliquary," the Headmistress said sharply.

"And the Cartier choker," Guthrie added quietly.

"What?!" Deidre shouted out.

"What?" Guthrie had the most innocent expression on his face. "Ah, right. Yes, well, you see, that's rather awkward." He cleared his throat. "The choker known as the Blue Dreams. Cartier. 1931. Diamonds and aquamarines. Best known for its unusual centrepiece shaped like a bow. Yes, that choker."

Something stirred in Imogen's - photographic - memory.

Guthrie gave the Headmistress a sheepish smile. "It was stolen from your Father's collection at the same time as the Reliquary."

"It wasn't 'stolen!'" the Headmistress hollered. "You stole it! You burgled my Father, stole the Reliquary from me, and left me waiting for you in a dirty B'n'B!"

"I had– no choice, my dear," Guthrie said softly.

"What does this even mean? You have impulse control issues and you couldn't help yourself?" The Headmistress' voice sounded higher and higher. "We were young, I understand getting cold feet and dumping your girlfriend when you're that young! But stealing her family heirlooms seems rather excessive, don't you think?" she shrieked out and pointed her finger at Guthrie's long bony nose.